Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: MimiMouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was pushing my shopping cart to my truck when an elderly man stomped on his gas pedal, hit me, and plowed me through the guardrail, glass, bricks, of the store front and through shelving and merchandise. I landed on the floor in front of the cash registers. I have nightmare flashbacks. My ankle fibula snapped, splintered, and I had another fracture in the lower ankle bone that sits on the top of the foot, as well as a fracture in my collarbone.

Comment from: Jec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

On December 24th 2013 I was visiting relatives and fell outside on the ice-covered driveway. Without a cell phone and all alone in the country I whistled and yelled until my niece heard me. My right foot was laying on the ground and my knee was pointing upward. I was brought to the hospital, X-rayed and operated on. I had three broken bones and two bones that splintered. I had plates and screws to hold everything together. I spent 6 weeks in a hard cast. I now have a boot that I can remove to exercise my ankle. I can have no weight on my right ankle until after April, 2014. I use a walker to get around. A few tricks are: put fanny packs on the walker to carry stuff (drinks that have covers), go up porch steps backwards (using walker on flat bottom surface for stability), get a medical toilet that will give you height and less stress on your good leg. I am getting good at hopping around. I have not had much pain but swelling is still a problem. I am doing everything I am told so hopefully I can return to work soon and to my home. My relatives got a visitor for Christmas, New Year's, and a few holidays not celebrated yet. LOL. Recovery is slow so find a sit down hobby to keep you busy and sleep whenever you can. Surround yourself with happy people and you will recover mentally and physically.

Comment from: babyjewelz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

When I was about 16 years old I injured my right ankle by slipping on ice.

Comment from: erna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I fell in my backyard. I stepped on wet leaves, and my foot slipped out from under me. I came down on my right foot. I knew immediately that my ankle was broken. I could not stand up and there was immediate swelling and pain. I went to ER and got X-rays, which showed a broken ankle and fibula. I have had surgery where the surgeon inserted pins and plate to hold my ankle together. I had a hard cast for 3 weeks. There can be no weight bearing. Today, I got a lighter cast, which I will wear for 5 weeks. Still no weight bearing. Then I will have surgery to remove the plate and pins, then rehab. I will be off work for 4 months! This is probably one of the worst things to happen to me! The boredom is the worst!

Comment from: Mary Merc, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Walking to the mailbox on the street, I turned and stepped on uneven raised berm and rolled my ankle. I bruised my right knee, two ribs, and hurt my hand. I walked around for 10 days in pain. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, had x-rays, and discovered that I had broken my ankle in two places. I am in I am in a walking boot for eight weeks.

Comment from: Michele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My left ankle got run over by a truck. I didn't have insurance, so every E.R. I went to said I just had a "dropped" foot. They gave me a few pain pills and sent me on my way. Three years after walking on it, my foot was almost upside down. I got disability and an orthopedic. My ankle was crushed so badly that I had plates and screws. They may have to do some grafting. I'm not sure. As I stood up from the wheelchair in the bathroom, I fell and broke four toes on the right side! I can't put weight on either foot.

Comment from: Tricia123, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

My husband has twisted/sprained/broke his foot in a hole in our yard yesterday. He still hasn't gone to the doctor! He is limping around and his ankle is swollen. We have iced it down we have wrapped it.

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I broke my ankle playing with my son's dog Dakota, a 90-pound chocolate lab. She won! I have Parkinson's disease and I don't have good balance anyway. She hit the back of my leg, I went down, and the rest is history. I am in a walking boot but cannot put weight on it at all.

Comment from: Maddie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was attempting to dismount the horse I was riding when he spooked. I fell to the ground. It happened very fast. When I went to stand up I knew I had injured my ankle. The urgent care doctor put me in a boot.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.