Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: horsewoman, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I broke my ankle when my horse rolled in a snow bank. I took ibuprofen for nine days until I saw an orthopedic surgeon who said ibuprofen does not promote bone healing. She also said I needed surgery.

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I fell down the stairs after treading on one of my grandchildren's toys. I suspected I had damaged my ankle as it was so painful. Five years previous to this accident I had slipped down a curb and torn all the ligaments and tendons in the same ankle. I have done this again on the inner ankle bone and fractured the outside ankle. So far I have been in a full cast for two weeks after having a back slab cast for nine days as the ankle was too swollen to cast fully. I am just hoping that as I am an older lady with a history of arthritis in my family that this will recover fully and leave me with no problems in the future.

Comment from: Tammy L., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 31 years old and this is my first time breaking a bone, getting surgery, being put under and having stitches! Ya, I figured I'd get it all out of the way in one shot! I was walking in a parking lot to my car and there was a piece of ice beside my driver-side back tire. I slipped once, catching myself; but as I caught myself with my left foot my right foot slipped again and I came down sideways on my left ankle. I was diagnosed with a fracture-dislocation. I can't remember how many screws are in my ankle but there's one plate. Its been 16 days since my accident and 15 since the surgery. This Thursday I have an appointment with my surgeon to get my staples removed (which have been the worst part of the healing process), and my full cast put on ( as I only have a half cast bandage on atm). After that my doctor said it will be 4 weeks before I can put weight on my left leg which is better than the 12 weeks that I was previously given. Apparently I'm healing well due to taking care of it. So if you are reading this and you just broke your ankle....do what your doctors tell you to do and you will heal! Thanks for listening :)

Comment from: Mythili, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I was walking with sports shoes on an uneven road. I remember my lower leg twisted and as I fell down I heard the cracking of the bones and was in severe pain. People around me literally lifted me and put me in an automobile and took me straight to hospital. I have seven screws and a plate on one side and a large screw on the other bone. Recovery time is said to be six to eight weeks.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I slipped in the snow. My left ankle curled under my foot and crunched. I fell to the floor and could not move. I was taken the A & E and had my left foot X-rayed after a consultation. I had to have my foot realigned as it was dislocated and told I had broken all three bones in my ankle, tore the ligaments and damaged all the cartilage. I would need an operation to correct my fracture. Due to the swelling on my ankle I had to wait five days after being admitted to hospital before my operation could go ahead.

Comment from: Kalpana Mahanta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I slipped and fell and broke both the ankles.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

Seven months ago, I fell down the steps and broke my left ankle on three places. I ended up with eight screws and two plates. My body was rejected the plate and two months after that, I broke my ankle again. I had a second operation and one plate and three screws were removed. My ankle became infected after the second operation and I was one miserable person. I'm still left with five screws and one plate in my ankle, and still have pain.

Comment from: hesore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I fell down two steps and broke both ankles. Now I'm in a wheelchair for 45 days.

Comment from: Biaz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

It took me almost 50 years to break a bone. It was my left ankle. I was playing softball, left field, made a catch then threw in one motion. The field was muddy, my foot was planted firmly and my ankle dislocated and snapped. I have seven pins and a plate on one side and a pin on the other. The recovery period is two weeks elevated, followed by no weight for 6-8 weeks. It seems like an eternity. Worse part right now is blood thinner injections, twice a day.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>