Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: babyjewelz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

When I was about 16 years old I injured my right ankle by slipping on ice.

Comment from: erna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I fell in my backyard. I stepped on wet leaves, and my foot slipped out from under me. I came down on my right foot. I knew immediately that my ankle was broken. I could not stand up and there was immediate swelling and pain. I went to ER and got X-rays, which showed a broken ankle and fibula. I have had surgery where the surgeon inserted pins and plate to hold my ankle together. I had a hard cast for 3 weeks. There can be no weight bearing. Today, I got a lighter cast, which I will wear for 5 weeks. Still no weight bearing. Then I will have surgery to remove the plate and pins, then rehab. I will be off work for 4 months! This is probably one of the worst things to happen to me! The boredom is the worst!

Comment from: Mary Merc, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Walking to the mailbox on the street, I turned and stepped on uneven raised berm and rolled my ankle. I bruised my right knee, two ribs, and hurt my hand. I walked around for 10 days in pain. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, had x-rays, and discovered that I had broken my ankle in two places. I am in I am in a walking boot for eight weeks.

Comment from: Michele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My left ankle got run over by a truck. I didn't have insurance, so every E.R. I went to said I just had a "dropped" foot. They gave me a few pain pills and sent me on my way. Three years after walking on it, my foot was almost upside down. I got disability and an orthopedic. My ankle was crushed so badly that I had plates and screws. They may have to do some grafting. I'm not sure. As I stood up from the wheelchair in the bathroom, I fell and broke four toes on the right side! I can't put weight on either foot.

Comment from: Tricia123, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

My husband has twisted/sprained/broke his foot in a hole in our yard yesterday. He still hasn't gone to the doctor! He is limping around and his ankle is swollen. We have iced it down we have wrapped it.

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I broke my ankle playing with my son's dog Dakota, a 90-pound chocolate lab. She won! I have Parkinson's disease and I don't have good balance anyway. She hit the back of my leg, I went down, and the rest is history. I am in a walking boot but cannot put weight on it at all.

Comment from: Maddie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was attempting to dismount the horse I was riding when he spooked. I fell to the ground. It happened very fast. When I went to stand up I knew I had injured my ankle. The urgent care doctor put me in a boot.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I was rollerblading and rolled my ankle splitting the fibula up from the ankle. I had a plate and nine screws installed . I spent five weeks in a cast and then two weeks in a boot non-weight bearing and then four more weeks in the boot and allowed to walk . I took the boot off a week ago and now have a splint that I wear in my shoe . I have no bone pain and haven't since a couple days after the surgery . There's muscle pain and stiffness but I walk every day and the muscles are getting stronger and there's less stiffness . I listened to my Dr. and did exactly what he said and the only thing that was unbearable was the boredom . Listen to your Dr.

Comment from: Piano<3, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

It was during field day and we were doing the sack race. The school decided to put it on uneven ground. When I was hopping my way back I hit an uneven spot and my right ankle went to the right side. My ankle bone touched the ground. I still participated in some of the activities but I was writhing in pain.

Comment from: sunny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

After 20 years of not being in a pair of skates… I was only on the skates 15 minutes when I fell backwards twisted my ankle and landed on it! I have torn two ligaments on the inner ankle and broke the outer bone of the ankle. I will need surgery to repair the damage I did. That means a metal plate and two screws. I ordered a knee scooter because I cannot bear any weight on my ankle for three months.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain Ankle sprains are common sports injuries caused by extreme force, unnatural motion, or uneven ground. Sprained ankles often occur during exercise, but may also ...learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Broken Ankle - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a broken ankle?

Broken Ankle - Type

What type of ankle fracture did you have, and how did it happen?

Broken Ankle - Treatment

How was your broken ankle treated?

Broken Ankle - Recovery and Rehablitation

Please share your experience with recovery time and rehabilitation for a broken ankle.