Viewer Comments: Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle:

Ankle Fracture - Causes

What caused your ankle fracture?

Comment from: cea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am a flight attendant and was getting out of the van at the airport to go to work and missed the last step. Knew something was wrong when I couldn't stand on it. They sent me to the emergency room and I found out that I had three broken bones in my foot. A plate and four screws later I still cannot put weight on it.

Comment from: mountain artist, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am a 66 yr-old female with no previous balance issues. Five months ago I fell from a lower stair landing onto a concrete basement floor after reaching for a light switch. I was taken to an emergency room and one broken ankle was put in a temporary cast. Three days later at an orthopedic clinic in my home state, I was properly diagnosed with 2 broken ankles: one a simple fibula break, and the other with four fractures in the ankle & foot. Now, I am very thankful for excellent PT where work continues.

Comment from: Leo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 11

In had teed off on my golf course and the tee was a bit elevated. The grass was slippery and I slid down and twisted my foot. I went home, put ice packs on it for 30 minutes and looked up on Google what I could and should do. It said to go to the emergency department. They took an X-ray which showed a thin crack in the ankle bone. My foot was swollen it all was a bit tender. They placed a cast from the toes to the knee and gave me crutches. They referred me to go after seven days to the fracture clinic of the hospital. I now have an appointment on Monday which is exactly seven days after the accident. I had some discomfort with the cast but the swelling went down withintwo2 days. Your article is excellent and informed me well.

Comment from: Nicole, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was in soccer camp when a girl from the opposing team kicked me hard in the ankle.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Fracture

Ankle Sprain
Ankle Sprain The ankle joint, which connects the foot with the lower leg, is injured often. An unnatural twisting motion can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when ...learn more >>
Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>