Ankle Sprain Overview
Sprained ankles are the most frequent type of musculoskeletal injury seen by primary-care providers.
Ankle sprains are common sports injuries but also happen during everyday activities. An unnatural twisting motion of the ankle joint can happen when the foot is planted awkwardly, when the ground is uneven, or when an unusual amount of force is applied to the joint.
Ankle Anatomy and Common Injuries
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/11/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Sprain
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ankle Sprain:
Ankle Sprain - Treatment
Please describe the treatment for your ankle sprain.
Ankle Sprain - Diagnosis
How was your ankle sprain diagnosed?
Pain and Injury Resources
- 18 Tips to Keep Your Joints Healthy
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Are You Taking Too Many Pain Meds?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu