Ankle Sprain (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
When to Seek Medical Care
Usually, an ankle sprain itself does not require a trip to the doctor. The problem is how to tell a sprain from a more serious injury such as a fracture (break). If any of the following occur, contact your doctor.
The indications to go to a hospital's emergency department are similar to those for which to call the doctor. The following conditions suggest a fracture or more serious injury or that a splint may be needed for pain control:
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/11/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Sprain
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ankle Sprain:
Ankle Sprain - Treatment
Please describe the treatment for your ankle sprain.
Ankle Sprain - Diagnosis
How was your ankle sprain diagnosed?
Pain and Injury Resources
- 18 Tips to Keep Your Joints Healthy
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Are You Taking Too Many Pain Meds?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu