Ankle Sprain (cont.)
Ankle Sprain Prevention
Ankle sprain prevention can be as simple as wearing the right shoes or as complicated as balance training for athletes.
- Wear proper shoes for the activity. Always wear stable shoes that give your ankle proper support. High-top basketball shoes are a good choice. (High heels or platform shoes are not the best choice if you're trying to prevent an ankle sprain.)
- Keep the ankles strong and flexible. Consult with the doctor or physical therapist for strengthening exercises.
- When participating in a sport, consider having a weak ankle taped, as taping
offers extra support. If you have repeated sprains, wearing an ankle brace while playing may help.
- Make sure a playing field (or home environment) is clear of any holes or obstacles to help avoid injury.
- If you have flat feet or bunions, consult a podiatrist as these conditions could lead to balance problems or instability of the ankle.
Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Sprain
The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ankle Sprain: