Viewer Comments: Ankle Sprain - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ankle Sprain:

Ankle Sprain - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ankle sprain.

Comment from: NAGENDRA, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a skid whilst alighting steps and had a side fall over the last step on the lateral side. There is pain 8 inches above the ankle. I met my family physician and he felt no x-ray is required and gave medicines for 2 days. I visited the doctor after two days and was able to stand straight and bend but it pained when leg is moved. However the doctor gave two injections, on day 1 and day 3 and asked to apply ice over the area where pain is felt and asked me to continue the same medicines for 2 more days. However there is swelling on the 3rd day but I am able walk slowly without any pressure/support. When I talked to the doctor saying there is a slight swelling, he says to have an x-ray and meet him.

Comment from: Justin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I think there is a big misunderstanding to treating sprained ankles (stretched or torn ligaments). This is just an injury and your body's natural remedy swelling. Your body increases blood flow to the injury site to repair the damaged tissue (adding heat will also draw blood to the area). Why doctors promote practices to reduce swelling is beyond me. I'm treating my sprained ankle (right now, as I type this) by sitting here with my foot below me; moving it from time to time. I'm eating a high protein/vitamin C diet and that's it. When I walk, I try not to reinjure myself.

Comment from: wildflower, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

My foot doctor said I had torn some ligaments in my foot, however he could not treat my ankle and my neuropathy at the same time. So he gave me injections in my ankle, which gave relieve for a short period of time and he told me not to walk on it. He gave me a brake that was no more than an elastic stocking. When I ask for a brace that would stabilize it better, he ordered this huge boot that cause me to fall. I think what I need is a cast. It has been a year and a half. My primary Dr. has referred me to a orthopedic surgeon.

Comment from: eng bantee khan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

About 2 years ago I was playing soccer and suddenly my ankle just dislocated during the match. The problem is it is always swelling and I feel pain in my ankle. I was taking medicine from that day but the medicine doesn't work at all. I saw many doctors around here but I don't know why it is not working. I am in a real trouble.

Comment from: Mystique519, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was wearing my 5 inch heels when I stepped up on the curb and lost my footing. The pain in not at the ankle but part where your food bends and flexes. There is no swelling or bruising. When I massage that area it feels good but hurts at the same time.

Comment from: Nakra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

My injury occurred almost 42 days ago on a badminton court. I returned to court yesterday only to stop in the middle of the game because my ankle was feeling weak. I was expecting to heal much faster.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

When I hurt my ankle, I was in physical therapy for a while, then I wore a boot. Three months later, my ankle is still swollen and it's sore and gives out at times.

Comment from: BJJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I sprained my ankle a week ago...all I did was wrap with a bandage and apply Icy Hot. Not until I read this article did I ice it. The swelling went down alot.

Must Read Articles Related to Ankle Sprain

Pain Medications
Pain Medications The effects of pain medication are different for each person. Pain also varies in tolerance as well from person to person. There are several different pain medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ankle Sprain:

Ankle Sprain - Diagnosis

How was your ankle sprain diagnosed?