Treatment depends on the cause of the anxiety.
- When the cause of anxiety is a physical ailment, treatment is directed toward eliminating that ailment. For example, if your thyroid gland were
overactive and causing anxiety, the treatment might involve surgery and various thyroid-regulating medications.
- When the cause is psychological, the underlying cause
needs to be discovered and, if possible, eliminated or controlled. For
example, if the cause is difficulty in a marriage, the doctor may suggest
marital counseling. Withdrawal from a substance of abuse is often addressed with drug-abuse treatment.
- Sometimes, the cause cannot be identified. In such cases, the only treatment option is control of symptoms.
- In the past, anxiety was treated with drugs in a class known as benzodiazepines. This class of medications is currently used much less often to treat anxiety due to the possibility of addiction. Examples of medications from this group include:
- Another anti-anxiety drug that is not a benzodiazepine is buspirone (BuSpar).
- Neurontin is an antiseizure medication that has been found to be helpful in treating anxiety for some people, but little organized research has indicated whether or not it is effective in addressing anxiety disorders.
- Drugs of the SSRI class
(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors that are also used to treat depression) are sometimes prescribed and include the following:
- In addition, psychotherapy may be useful. Helping the anxiety sufferer combat whatever unrealistic beliefs that may underlie the anxiety (cognitive therapy)
or developing ways to manage worries (behavioral therapy) are psychotherapeutic approaches that are often used.
Must Read Articles Related to Anxiety
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Grief and Bereavement
Grief is our personal experience of loss. Mourning is a public expression of our grief. Bereavement is the period after a loss during which mourning occurs (usu...learn more >>
Heart Rhythm Disorders
The primary function of the heart is to supply blood and nutrients to the body. The regular beating, or contraction, of the heart moves the blood throughout the...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Anxiety: