Viewer Comments: Aortic Aneurysm - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm:

Aortic Aneurysm - Causes

What was the cause of your aortic aneurysm, or that of a friend of family member if known.

Comment from: Big Bird, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I had abdominal aortic aneurysm open repair, and the cause was smoking. It was done on 9/12/02, 13.5 years ago. After a 3 month recovery, I never had a problem. I was 58 years old at the time, soon to be 73. I asked the vascular surgeon who did the surgery, how long I had to live. His reply was, 'see you in 40 years', and never saw him again! I do feel fortunate.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I was just diagnosed with having and an aortic aneurysm, 3 cm in size; along with a list of many other things. It was a little overwhelming to say the least. I originally went in for an umbilical hernia and symptoms of additional hernias in my groin. Well, after the CT scan many other things showed up, to my surprise. I was not aware nor had any symptoms of the aortic aneurysm other than that my legs always hurt, I tired easily but I contributed that to getting older and having low back problems from a prior accident. I am going tomorrow for a consult with a cardiologist for clogged arterial walls. Will see what happens, and please wish me luck; I need it.

Must Read Articles Related to Aortic Aneurysm

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2) There are two types of diabetes, type 1 (insulin dependent), and type 2 (non-insulin dependent). learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm:

Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your aortic aneurysm?

Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please share your experience with aortic aneurysm.

Aortic Aneurysm - Surger

Please share your experience with aortic aneurysm and surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow