Viewer Comments: Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm:

Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: Kazza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 56-year-old female and my symptoms were chest pain (left side) through to my left shoulder. Pressure in center of chest. I also tend to get short of breath. My doctor told me I have no markers for heart problems and dismissed my symptoms. Finally I went to another G.P. who sent me to a cardiologist. I had an angiogram and CT scan which showed an aortic aneurysm which is small at the moment. Treatment is blood pressure tablets, healthy diet, moderate exercise and regular checkups.

Comment from: Lynzi, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 10

My husband recently suddenly died from a heart aneurysm. He was 33 years old, very fit and in fantastic shape. He only had the two symptoms the evening before: pain in left side of chest and excessive sweating. I am totally heartbroken and wanted to tell others of quick it can happen. The coroner told me that he would have died within seconds of falling to the floor.

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I suffered a ruptured descending aortic aneurysm in 2003. It was discovered six months earlier and was being monitored by my cardiovascular doctor. I had been taking the drug Wellbutrin for smoking cessation on and off for quite a while.

Comment from: REMCO, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I was having pain in my lungs. I go to a local clinic and the doctor diagnosed me as having pleurisy. The doctor prescribed medicine for me but after a few months, my lungs are hurting me again. This time I go to my family doctor. He wants to have me do a stress test. In both cases I asked for a chest x-ray, and neither doctor wouldn't order one. I had an appointment with my cardiologist for my yearly check-up scheduled within a month. I told my doctor of my symptoms, and he ordered the x-ray, it came back normal. September rolls around and I'm cutting the grass and my lungs began hurting again. I contact my cardiologist again and he schedules me for and echocardiogram in his office. I get a phone call a few days later from my doctor. They found an aortic aneurysm. My advice: listen to your body it is telling you something is wrong.

Comment from: Billieruth, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My husband had an aortic dissection that ruptured on the table he is only 37 years old. He has had a hard road to travel and I was told I would never bring him home but he has been home for almost two months now and he is walking and improving every day.

Comment from: Hindsight, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

Had some back and shoulder pain, just figured from a normal day work. Then I got weird feeling in leg, it just felt heavy. I ignored all thinking just normal stuff with age (just hit 50). My wife insists I have a life-line screening done. They find a 6.2cm AAA bulging on both sides. Sent me directly to Dr. He made referral to Heart Specialist, but they can't get me in for 2 days. For now, I'm just sitting here praying it doesn't rupture before anyone has time to help me. DON'T IGNORE SYMPTOMS - get checked right away, insist on scans! My wife originally had me go 8 months ago for physical because she "felt" something wasn't right. I had no "symptoms" they felt were worthy of a scan, that's why she went the Life Screening route. I sort of laughed her "feeling" off as well. Now here we are. Don't let this happen to you. I was feeling pretty macho and strong until I found out today I have a time bomb waiting to go off, and no one is available to help me with it for 2 days at least. Good Luck to you all. God Bless!

Comment from: Marty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I began to have increasing pain in chest and back after straining hard to pull up some floor boards during a remodeling project. I have never had hypertension, not overweight, do not smoke, drink or use drugs. I went to ER and the only thing that gave some relief was nitroglycerin so they did a ct scan. I had two aneurysms. The one on the descending aorta was dissected at 4.5 cm. I had open surgery with dacron graft. Recovery is much longer and more painful than I expected. After 8 months I still have chest tightness, pain, am extremely tired and short of breath. Found out I have a biscupid aorta and possible genetic vascular disease. I would advise anybody who has surgery to be aware that recovery is a slow process and never lift heavy things or strain yourself if you have an aneurysm.

Comment from: missamoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Almost 4 years ago, Aug. I got attacked by a cow at work. Yes, a cow! She came at me and was ramming me into the fence until 3 other farmhands got her off me. My left shoulder had a bad tear in the rotator cup; fractured my lower back; had bad bruising, you could see the fence pole marks across my thoracic back which ended up w/bulged disc. Well since this accident I've had to have my appendix out March '08 then my gallbladder. I think about a year later. I've since been checked for stones that may have gotten left but nothing. My pain is just behind my right ribs curling my fingers deep just around the rib bones sometimes I can feel a hard marble sized thing then I rub and pressure it will ease the pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Aortic Aneurysm

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2) There are two types of diabetes, type 1 (insulin dependent), and type 2 (non-insulin dependent). learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm:

Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please share your experience with aortic aneurysm.

Aortic Aneurysm - Causes

What was the cause of your aortic aneurysm, or that of a friend of family member if known.

Aortic Aneurysm - Surger

Please share your experience with aortic aneurysm and surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow