Viewer Comments: Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm:

Aortic Aneurysm - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your aortic aneurysm?

Comment from: June, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My husband died from a ruptured aortic aneurysm. He had no symptoms until he fainted one morning. We rushed to the emergency room thinking he had a mild heart attack even though he had no pain. On the way there he began vomiting, sweating and became confused. He passed away during surgery 5 hours later.

Comment from: BABYGIRL50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was working at home the weekend of 12/8 to 10/2013. I was feeling pretty good. After I went to bed about 11 pm, I started having stomach pains; as if I had to have a bowel movement. The pain progressively worsened and I got scared. I knew this was not normal for me. I called 911, the EMS (Emergency Medical Services) workers came immediately, assessed me and took me to the emergency room. Within 30 minutes of arrival, a CT scan was done and I was rushed into surgery. I was diagnosed with a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. When I work up 5 days later, the medical staff told me, if I had ignored the pain, I would have died in my bed. I had no prior symptoms and since I did not fit the category to be tested for an aneurysm, I simply did not know! Please, for goodness' sake and your wellbeing, do not ignore it when your body starts talking to you. If there is the slightest thing out of the normal, please get it checked out. Better safe than sorry! I am alive and well 2 plus years later.

Comment from: Loganberry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I went on December 8, 2016 for a CT lung scan. It was a 49 dollar deal. Since I am a smoker I thought it was a good idea. Lungs are fine but they found a descending thoracic aortic aneurysm 4 x 6. Next I had a CT angiogram. A 3.8 to 4.6 aneurysm from the ascending across the arch to descending. I return in 6 months for another CT angiogram. If they hit 5.0 to 5.5 it's surgery. I have a restricted lifestyle and quit smoking. I'm 5 ft. 6, 137 pounds with no other health problems. I take a vitamin and 87 mg of aspirin a day and was active. I am finally getting the anxiety under control; kind of hard when you are walking around with a ticking bomb in your chest. Now I am developing shortness of breath, I don't know if it is a symptom or anxiety.

Comment from: Caught In Time, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I experienced extreme upper back pain that would not stop. I was rushed to the hospital and had surgery for aortic aneurysm. I thought I was dying, the pain was so excruciating.

Comment from: JD, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

At 54, I survived a ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Jan. 18th, 2011, I'm speaking from firsthand experience I thought I had bi annual physicals, had no idea I had an aortic aneurysm! No sign or symptoms until: As I reflect back my symptoms include: I remember my eyes would sometimes blury or act as if they were crossed eyed vision. I recall getting cramps in my lower back area and these lower back cramps began to happen often; I would lay on the floor, ball up/fetal position and raising my legs up in the air the back cramps would release and go away. I fainted/passed out while being interviewed for a transfer request by my employer. Awakened by my employer, he said he would get someone to take me to the hospital, but made me promise that I would go to the emergency room. And we did. I was in the emergency room all day laying in real pain in the lower back area, but this time no matter what I tried, the pain would not release. Late that same afternoon, while lying in the emergency room, the AAA ruptured, and emergency surgery followed. I lost 10 pints of blood from the time they wheeled me from the ER to the Emergency Operating Room. My abdomen was swollen as if I were 9 mos. pregnant as the result of the amount of blood loss within just a few minutes. I'm so lucky to be alive. For me, I was at the right place at the right time thanks to my employer's encouraging word to get this check out right away.

Comment from: ronapie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I found out a week ago that I have an aneurism in my aorta in my chest. I was having chest pains for over three weeks then shortness of breath. No doctor is telling me anything about what I should do or what needs to be done.

Comment from: lucyrb11, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I had 10 days of loose bowels and belly pains. My aneurysm was discovered fortunately as an MRI was taken. It was 9 cm large and close to rupturing.

Comment from: tumbleweed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 55 year old female just diganosed with a AAA 3cm. I am at the 'watchful waiting' stage. CT every 6 months till it gets to 5cm.

Must Read Articles Related to Aortic Aneurysm

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes (Mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2) There are two types of diabetes, type 1 (insulin dependent), and type 2 (non-insulin dependent). learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm:

Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please share your experience with aortic aneurysm.

Aortic Aneurysm - Causes

What was the cause of your aortic aneurysm, or that of a friend of family member if known.

Aortic Aneurysm - Surger

Please share your experience with aortic aneurysm and surgery.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow