Viewer Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: vijaykumar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

With appendicitis, I had severe pain in the abdomen, vomiting, fever, and jitters.

Comment from: Suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am not sure what is happening yet. I began having severe pain. At first, it felt like UTI as I could see visible blood in urine. I had my husband go get AZO as we were leaving on a trip in morning & I didn't want to ruin trip. I got so bad during night I almost drove myself to ER but I was afraid I would not be able to go on trip, so I just kept drinking water and cranberry juice and taking my regular pain medication. Symptoms relieved a bit and I was able to drive. I have been very nauseated and had chills. The back pain has been excessive. Monday all symptoms came back in full force. I asked hubby to rub back and took meds and thankfully went to sleep. I began reading this site concerned that it could be appendix pain. Tuesday morning the pain is on the lower right side. I still have many other symptoms but I'm going to try to hold off until I get back home. I don't want to ruin trip as I surprised hubby with seeing his daughter which we have not been able to see in ten years. I have lots of people praying so hopefully whatever this is it doesn't get worse until I can see a doctor.

Comment from: Peypey1003, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

At first I felt hungry, but wasn't satisfied after eating. Then I experienced profound left abdominal pain accompanied by intermittent minor nausea. As the condition progressed, the pain transferred and lessened to the right abdomen. Then I underwent an emergent laparoscopy for non-perforated appendicitis.

Comment from: STORMI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I started experiencing pain in my lower left side. Then the next day, I had pain, nausea, and vomiting. Later on, the pain lessened if I laid on my right side. Then I woke up one morning and I had to go to the hospital. They told me that my appendix had ruptured and that it was a miracle I was still alive. Somehow, my bowel was ruptured, too.

Comment from: JanelleS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

When I developed appendicitis, the first notable symptom I had was mild abdominal and back pain, for which I took some aspirin, and it went away. About six hours later I developed severe chills, from which there was no relief. Very quickly after that I had nausea and very severe vomiting. While in hospital the chills persisted for almost 24 hours until I had the emergency surgery. There was nothing I could do to get warm, and at one point was lying in the hospital bed wearing a long shirt, sweat pants, a thick winter hoodie AND a down jacket with a blanket on top. I was still shivering. For me the chills were the very worst symptom.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female Published: June 28

It's nearly 2 weeks since I had my operation to remove my appendix. I had noticed that my stomach was swollen the night before but had no other symptoms at that time. The next day I set off, with friends to walk up a mountain, as I was on holiday at the time. After about a mile and a half, I developed a pain in my abdomen under my belly button which then moved fairly quickly down my right side. I had to turn back with a friend, suspecting a stomach bug. Within an hour, I didn't know what to do with myself as the pain became so uncomfortable and I was quite sick a couple of times. My friend phoned the local GP who asked me to come to his surgery. He diagnosed appendicitis and phoned for an ambulance to take me to the nearest hospital, 30 miles away. I was admitted straight away and examined. A CT scan was ordered to check on diagnosis and to rule out 2 other possible causes for my pain. I had surgery the same day and am now recovering well at home. The hospital staff was fantastic and tried to make my stay as painless as possible. Apart from this incident, I am usually very well and keep myself active, going to the gym 3 times a week and walking regularly in the Scottish countryside.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My experience with appendicitis was something other than normal. I went to bed that night feeling completely normal with no symptoms. About 3 hours later I woke up in the most pain I've ever felt in my life in my stomach. I couldn't even walk! I had to crawl! I had no other symptoms. No fever, no vomiting, no nausea, no constipation. I went to the hospital immediately and a CT scan was done to confirm appendicitis. After they got the results of the scan, they me in surgery in less than an hour! I didn't even have time to think!

Comment from: jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

When I had appendicitis, I had a dull ache, which appeared around belly button and under breast bone. My pain was gradually becoming worse, and I knew something was not right. I drove to the hospital emergency department. They took blood and did X-rays, but they could not find anything wrong. I was told it was possibly hormonal (female 47) or maybe even gastro related. I was worried. The next morning I was in tears as I drove my son to school at 8am. The pain was constantly making me feel really sick. I called my local GP, explained I had been to hospital the night before and was still in pain. This was Tuesday morning and they told me they were full and could not see me until Thursday. At 1pm I was in my kitchen when I felt like somebody had thrown a hot sharp knife in my right side. I collapsed in shock, managed to call my husband who called the ambulance. I have given birth and the pain I had with appendicitis was worse. The medics started to administer pain relief right away. My appendix had perforated. I got to hospital and suffered huge delays and incompetence. I realize this was life-threatening and am now just about to inform the hospital of what I suffered. It has been one week since surgery and I am trying hard to get on with my life. That's about all for now...

Must Read Articles Related to Appendicitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Prognosis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?