Viewer Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Initially, I experienced just a nagging backache which I attributed to sleeping in an awkward position. After a few days, my stomach became distended, and I realized that I was constipated. But after a few days of lots of fruits and vegetables, I had no relief. So I took a laxative and woke during the night in extreme pain. The next day, my stomach still distended and hurt, but I blamed it on the laxative. Finally on day 7, I went to ER and appendicitis was diagnosed. During surgery they found that a part of my colon had also become infected and had to be removed. It has now been 10 days since surgery and I am still recuperating! Earlier diagnosis would have greatly reduced the extent of surgery and recovery.

Comment from: Siwe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I feel pain, I lost appetite and have been vomiting since 2013 till now. I am worried if it is appendicitis.

Comment from: Dolly, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 02

I just had an emergency appendectomy last Saturday. I woke up at 1 a.m. with severe stomach cramping and started vomiting a little. Then I got waves of nausea. When I laid on my right side, I felt much better. It was the nausea that was overwhelming. Around 10 a.m., I went downstairs and vomited again and passed out and woke up on the floor. I knew something was wrong. I continued to have very sharp stomach cramps across my entire abdomen, but then the pain moved to my right lower side. When I got to the doctor, still hoping it was the flu, my right lower side was somewhat tender, but only mildly tender. When I got to the hospital, they gave me contrast to drink for a CT scan, which I promptly vomited up. On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain was an eight, but the nausea was a 25! After the operation at 1 a.m., the surgeon told me it was an extremely severe infection and that I was lucky it didn't rupture. It was done laparoscopically. I stayed in the hospital two nights on antibiotics (Levaquin and Flagyl), and then was discharged home. Three days since the surgery, I feel 90 percent better with only a little scar pain.

Comment from: shiger, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was 8 years old in 1940 when I had a very bad "stomach ache." It began early in the morning at school. I went through the entire day walking up and down stairs. At 3pm my father took me and my sister to the grocery store a block away from our apartment in the Bronx. When I sat down on a metal box outside the store my father noticed I was in pain and asked me the questions "what's wrong" and "how long have you been in pain?" I told him "all day." Cut to an ambulance arriving at our apartment, carrying me out on a stretcher. I remember lying under a huge bright light on the ceiling of a strange room. The next thing I remember is being in a ward of the hospital with huge bandages on my stomach. I went home in about a week or 10 days later. My reason for writing: My father knew what was wrong with me immediately because his father had died of a burst appendix.

Comment from: george, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a lot of gas, small stools, and extreme back pain. The day it burst I had pains also on my right side and chills with a fever.

Comment from: vijaykumar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

With appendicitis, I had severe pain in the abdomen, vomiting, fever, and jitters.

Comment from: Suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am not sure what is happening yet. I began having severe pain. At first, it felt like UTI as I could see visible blood in urine. I had my husband go get AZO as we were leaving on a trip in morning & I didn't want to ruin trip. I got so bad during night I almost drove myself to ER but I was afraid I would not be able to go on trip, so I just kept drinking water and cranberry juice and taking my regular pain medication. Symptoms relieved a bit and I was able to drive. I have been very nauseated and had chills. The back pain has been excessive. Monday all symptoms came back in full force. I asked hubby to rub back and took meds and thankfully went to sleep. I began reading this site concerned that it could be appendix pain. Tuesday morning the pain is on the lower right side. I still have many other symptoms but I'm going to try to hold off until I get back home. I don't want to ruin trip as I surprised hubby with seeing his daughter which we have not been able to see in ten years. I have lots of people praying so hopefully whatever this is it doesn't get worse until I can see a doctor.

Comment from: Peypey1003, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

At first I felt hungry, but wasn't satisfied after eating. Then I experienced profound left abdominal pain accompanied by intermittent minor nausea. As the condition progressed, the pain transferred and lessened to the right abdomen. Then I underwent an emergent laparoscopy for non-perforated appendicitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Appendicitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Prognosis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?