Viewer Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My experience with appendicitis was something other than normal. I went to bed that night feeling completely normal with no symptoms. About 3 hours later I woke up in the most pain I've ever felt in my life in my stomach. I couldn't even walk! I had to crawl! I had no other symptoms. No fever, no vomiting, no nausea, no constipation. I went to the hospital immediately and a CT scan was done to confirm appendicitis. After they got the results of the scan, they me in surgery in less than an hour! I didn't even have time to think!

Comment from: jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

When I had appendicitis, I had a dull ache, which appeared around belly button and under breast bone. My pain was gradually becoming worse, and I knew something was not right. I drove to the hospital emergency department. They took blood and did X-rays, but they could not find anything wrong. I was told it was possibly hormonal (female 47) or maybe even gastro related. I was worried. The next morning I was in tears as I drove my son to school at 8am. The pain was constantly making me feel really sick. I called my local GP, explained I had been to hospital the night before and was still in pain. This was Tuesday morning and they told me they were full and could not see me until Thursday. At 1pm I was in my kitchen when I felt like somebody had thrown a hot sharp knife in my right side. I collapsed in shock, managed to call my husband who called the ambulance. I have given birth and the pain I had with appendicitis was worse. The medics started to administer pain relief right away. My appendix had perforated. I got to hospital and suffered huge delays and incompetence. I realize this was life-threatening and am now just about to inform the hospital of what I suffered. It has been one week since surgery and I am trying hard to get on with my life. That's about all for now...

Comment from: Nickie, Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had appendicitis and before I was diagnosed, I had back pains, pains on the right side of my stomach, chills and constipation.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

All of this information is very helpful. Thank you. Right now I'm resting and waiting to go to my follow-up. Out of nowhere I had an extremely sharp throbbing pressure that was so excruciating. Unsure of what it was, I knew something was really wrong. I went to the ER and all the test mentioned were done. Everything came back negative, but the ER doctor was convinced it's appendicitis in the very early stages. I'm resting in hopes it doesn't rupture in the next couple of days. Thanks again. All this information is helpful.

Comment from: angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had appendicitis. I was very nauseated and had a stomachache. I also had a feeling of intense hunger and prior to going to the hospital, I consumed 5 bowls of Cheerios. My symptoms were somewhat different from the norm. Luckily my appendix never ruptured.

Comment from: lkcyne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had appendicitis last February. After dinner one evening, my stomach began to hurt and I developed acid reflux. Having had dyspepsia in the past, I chalked it up to another episode of that. The only problem was with dyspepsia I do not usually become constipated and I do not lose my appetite. I took some medication I had left over for the dyspepsia. That made me feel a little better ,but I could not get rid of the stomach pain. After suffering for 15 hours, I finally told my husband to take me to ER. I presented with no fever and no other symptoms of appendicitis besides severe stomach pain--8/10 on the pain scale. The ER doctor palpated my stomach and immediately said he thought it was appendicitis. The pain centralized to my side during palpation instead of my entire stomach hurting. He ordered an IV started with blood and urine labs and a CT scan. The labs indicated an infection and the CT scan confirmed what the doctor suspected. I was rushed into surgery and had my appendix removed. After the surgery, they discovered a cancerous tumor in my appendix. Thankfully, it had not spread. In my case, appendicitis may have save me a lot of pain down the road.

Comment from: medichughes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

I just had surgery for appendicitis. I had a slight fever and dull abdominal pain. My fever increased over the day, and at dinner could not eat. I was terribly nauseated and I could not drink enough water. The next day, the pain had moved to my lower right quadrant. I thought it might have been my appendix, and I went to the urgent care hoping I was wrong. After the exam, I was sent directly to the hospital, where my fever spiked to 106 degrees. There I was told it was official appendicitis. I had surgery about 36 hours from the onset of my symptoms.

Must Read Articles Related to Appendicitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Prognosis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?