Viewer Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Nickie, Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had appendicitis and before I was diagnosed, I had back pains, pains on the right side of my stomach, chills and constipation.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

All of this information is very helpful. Thank you. Right now I'm resting and waiting to go to my follow-up. Out of nowhere I had an extremely sharp throbbing pressure that was so excruciating. Unsure of what it was, I knew something was really wrong. I went to the ER and all the test mentioned were done. Everything came back negative, but the ER doctor was convinced it's appendicitis in the very early stages. I'm resting in hopes it doesn't rupture in the next couple of days. Thanks again. All this information is helpful.

Comment from: angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had appendicitis. I was very nauseated and had a stomachache. I also had a feeling of intense hunger and prior to going to the hospital, I consumed 5 bowls of Cheerios. My symptoms were somewhat different from the norm. Luckily my appendix never ruptured.

Comment from: lkcyne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had appendicitis last February. After dinner one evening, my stomach began to hurt and I developed acid reflux. Having had dyspepsia in the past, I chalked it up to another episode of that. The only problem was with dyspepsia I do not usually become constipated and I do not lose my appetite. I took some medication I had left over for the dyspepsia. That made me feel a little better ,but I could not get rid of the stomach pain. After suffering for 15 hours, I finally told my husband to take me to ER. I presented with no fever and no other symptoms of appendicitis besides severe stomach pain--8/10 on the pain scale. The ER doctor palpated my stomach and immediately said he thought it was appendicitis. The pain centralized to my side during palpation instead of my entire stomach hurting. He ordered an IV started with blood and urine labs and a CT scan. The labs indicated an infection and the CT scan confirmed what the doctor suspected. I was rushed into surgery and had my appendix removed. After the surgery, they discovered a cancerous tumor in my appendix. Thankfully, it had not spread. In my case, appendicitis may have save me a lot of pain down the road.

Comment from: medichughes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

I just had surgery for appendicitis. I had a slight fever and dull abdominal pain. My fever increased over the day, and at dinner could not eat. I was terribly nauseated and I could not drink enough water. The next day, the pain had moved to my lower right quadrant. I thought it might have been my appendix, and I went to the urgent care hoping I was wrong. After the exam, I was sent directly to the hospital, where my fever spiked to 106 degrees. There I was told it was official appendicitis. I had surgery about 36 hours from the onset of my symptoms.

Must Read Articles Related to Appendicitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Vomiting and Nausea
Vomiting and Nausea Vomiting and nausea are common complaints that accompany many conditions and diseases. A few common causes of vomiting and nausea include food poisoning, viruse...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Prognosis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?