Viewer Comments: Appendicitis - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Prognosis

Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?

Comment from: stadlgi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I was on the verge of turning 16 and at summer band camp. It was hot, we had cold-cut sandwiches at lunch and I thought I had a bad one as my pain doubled me over and a case of the chills set in. I had a similar set of pains some weeks before but they lasted a few minutes and everything seemed fine after that. At band camp they put me in the first aid trailer to rest and see if any improvement would occur. It didn't. The pain was in the lower right abdomen and felt like someone had just stabbed me with a knife. They eventually took me to a small clinic in town where the doctor diagnosed appendicitis but the nearest hospital was 60 miles away and at that time no Medivac helicopter service existed except military. My parents were called to meet us from the camp half way. We made it to the hospital emergency room to end up waiting. Finally I started to feel much better and wanted to leave. My dad left in a panic and dragged the nearest doctor back with him. They set up for the next surgery suite but I was also dehydrated and that condition had to be fixed. Long story short, the appendix ruptured, peritonitis set in and a solid week of touch and go after being unconscious for three days (I'm told). A hospital stay of 3 weeks and a loss of 25 pounds later, I get to go home.

Comment from: mr Vic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Your website helped. I read problems people were having related to appendicitis and complications. I recently had similar pains in my right abdomen, and flu-like symptoms, but no nausea. I thought I had a stomach virus. I read more about appendicitis on the internet and decided to go to the ER where I was admitted for emergency surgery. Thanks for doing what you do.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I experienced pain for 3 days before I went to the doctor and had my appendix removed within hours of medical tests. The first day I thought that I was simply experiencing bad gas pains in my stomach because I was constipated. The second day my back and stomach hurt to the point where I couldn't stand up for long periods and alternated between sweating and chills. The third day I actually felt better because all of the pain was now on my right side. I went to the doctor after work and was told my appendix needed to come out that night! I was told that my appendix got close to bursting once I started to feel a little better. I was lucky that it didn't.

Must Read Articles Related to Appendicitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis:

Appendicitis - Symptoms

For appendicitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?