Aspirin Poisoning (cont.)
Aspirin Poisoning Follow-up
People with acute, single ingestions of nonenteric-coated aspirin of less than 150 mg/kg who have no symptoms and have a nontoxic aspirin level after 6 hours may be released from the hospital. All others with aspirin poisonings will likely be treated in the emergency department, then hospitalized for further treatment and observation.
Psychiatric and medical follow-up may be recommended.
Careful monitoring of medication intake will be recommended.
Tests to monitor kidney function may be ordered periodically after hospital discharge, especially in the elderly.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/2/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Aspirin Poisoning
Activated charcoal is a substance used when a person has ingested a poison (drugs or chemicals). Activated charcoal absorbs the poisons in the GI tract. Activat...learn more >>
Poison Proofing Your Home
Poison proofing your home is one of the most important ways to protect your family and pets from an accidental poisoning from solids (pills, plants, fertilizers...learn more >>
Poisoning can have serious signs or symptoms including nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, seizure, confusion, or pain. The National Poisong Control Center pho...learn more >>