Viewer Comments: Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Athlete's Foot:

Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Comment from: Smokey_Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I cured my athlete's foot, which bothered me for decades and finally was causing toenail separation, by using Vicks VapoRub applied over the entire surface of the foot and pushed under the toenail with a plastic iodine applicator. I was told by a podiatrist that the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub penetrate through the skin, and kill the fungus. I am an electrical engineer in the defense industry.

Comment from: Andrew, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I have suffered from athlete's foot since age 13. I am not 53 years. Only 2 years back I was able to completely eliminate this problem by taking oral tablet GRISOVIN (griseofulvin 125mg). I used to have watery blisters on the soles of both feet, in between the toes and near the nails and sometimes on my fingers and palms of my hands. I have tried topical creams etc to no avail until a dentist told me about GRISOVIN. I also realized I probably have a contact allergy especially when wearing rubber tongs. All of that is over. What a relief. I only have to take the tablet once a day until all the symptoms have disappeared and continued for 2 weeks before stopping. Hope this info helps. I noticed this particular drug was not listed.

Comment from: Jewls, Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My hubby has had athlete's foot for over a decade and no creams or such really helped too much. Tinactin spray helped about the best until his mom went for a pedicure and the lady working on her feet made a suggestion for my hubby... it works! The next time you're in the shower, take your bottle of Listerine in with you... poor some over your feet (away from the water stream), let it soak for a couple of seconds and rinse. It gives a bit of a burn, but has really helped him. Hope it can help you too!

Must Read Articles Related to Athlete's Foot

Jock Itch
Jock Itch Jock itch is an itchy groin rash that may be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. Symptoms include an itchy red area in a skin fold. The rash may be raise...learn more >>
Ringworm on Body
Ringworm on Body Ringworm (or tinea corporis) is a common fungal infection resulting from dermatophytes. Symptoms and signs include lesions on the trunk, legs, arms, neck, and f...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Athlete's Foot:

Athlete's Foot - Cause

Was the cause of your athlete's foot a condition (psoriasis, fungal infection, contact allergens) or poorly fitting shoes, sharing socks and shoes, or using public shower facilities?

Athlete's Foot - Treatment

What was the treatment for your athlete's foot?