Atrial Fibrillation (cont.)
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib) Symptoms
Symptoms of atrial fibrillation vary from person to person.
- A number of people have no symptoms.
- The most common symptom in people with intermittent atrial fibrillation is palpitations, a sensation of rapid or irregular heartbeat. This may make some people very anxious. Many people also describe an irregular fluttering sensation in their chests. This irregular fluttering sensation is due to the irregular rapid ventricular response (rvr) of the ventricles to the rapid irregular atrial electrical activity.
- Some people become light-headed or faint.
- Other symptoms include weakness, lack of energy or shortness of breath with effort, and chest pain or angina.
There are a few patients that have potentially life-threating A fib symptoms that need immediate attention and intervention with electric cardioversion. The symptoms and signs are as follows:
- Decompensated congestive heart failure (CHF); shortness of breath
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Uncontrolled chest pain (angina/ischemia)
Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Fibrillation
Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>
Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed.
It pumps ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib):