Viewer Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms

What are your atrial fibrillation symptoms?

Comment from: Unhappy daughter, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My 83 year old mother was recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I am quite concerned that this was missed by 2 cardiologists, including her general physician. Her blood pressure (BP) was suddenly elevated, over 140 for 2 weeks. Multiple changes of cardiac medications were made. She had LE (lower extremity) edema, cellulitis, orthostatic BP. We were told atrial fibrillation occurred because she was dehydrated. Very upset as I know she is on Coumadin plus other new cardiac medicines. She also has a history of thyroid problems. My mother refuses to have a second opinion with other doctors. Watch symptoms carefully in the elderly.

Comment from: Lucky diagnosis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was 66 and have had hypertension since I was about 45. I am seriously overweight and have been for my whole life. I was seeing my doctor for my annual checkup and had an atrial fibrillation event while she was checking my heart. I had absolutely no symptoms. She sent me to a cardiologist who put me on a monitor for a month to determine the frequency of my episodes and if I had any symptoms. I had additional atrial fibrillation episodes and every time without a single symptom. I have been on warfarin and metoprolol for 5 years along with my other hypertension drugs. I self-test for my INR number and check in with a clinic for monitoring. I have been living a full life and enjoying international travel. I feel very lucky and so grateful that I was diagnosed and have a much better shot at a longer healthier life.

Comment from: Joe Rivers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

Had a heart attack at age 42 and open heart surgery when I was 65, it took me one year to fully recover from the surgery (5 vessels). A few years after my open heart surgery I developed Atrial Fibrillation. The heart doctors tried a variety of medications and nothing cured my AF. My wife was talking to a 90 year old man about my AF and he said he use to have AF but got rid of it with a product called "Ultimate Heart Support." I purchased the product and three weeks after taking it my AF was gone. I read on the list of ingredients in the product and found the one herb that interested me in the pill was called ARJUNA. I did a study on ARJUNA and found that it has been around for hundreds of years and has been very beneficial to patients with heart problems. I was blessed to have found this product and I continue to use it faithfully and with the symptoms of AF. If you try this product and it helps you be sure to let others know about it.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had a hole in my heart repaired about 18 years ago, it disappeared so I had a plug put in 2 years ago. I had scar tissue from first surgery which might have caused atrial fibrillation so had an ablation done but probably need it again as the doctor said he might have missed some tissue. I take diltiazem and flecainide but it makes me tired. When I have an atrial fibrillation attack I get on my hands and knees and kind of curl up which helps it stop sooner.

Comment from: Lilrusty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have A-fib since I was 38 years old. I tried different medications, but none really work!

Comment from: d. deese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

With A-fib, I had a rapid heartbeat that was strange and fluttery. I had this feeling in my chest and throat. I have no paid at all, but I get these sensations a lot.

Published: April 09

I had my first a-fib attack three weeks ago. I experienced a rapid pounding heart beat that was erratic. I did not have dizziness or shortness of breath. My blood pressure shot up. After waiting an hour, I went to the ER. They administered Cardizem which immediately slowed my heart and stopped the erratic beats. Since then, I've had practically every test known to man and no cause has been found. Next, I go to have all my arteries checked and have a sleep apnea test. It would help to know what to expect in the future.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I don't know if this is related to my a fibrillation but I have lots of indigestion and my chest is sore on the side where my heart is. I am taking Adavan and Zoloft for depression and anxiety. I had cancer surgery 3 months ago.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Congestive heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What types of procedures (for example cardioversion) have you undergone for AFib?

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) - Blood Thinning Medications

Do you take blood thinners? If so, please share your experience with the medications you have taken or are currently taking.

Atrial Fibrillation - Experience

Do you or someone you love have AFib? Please share your experience if you feel it may help others.

Atrial Fibrillation - Non Blood Clotting Medications

Do you take non blood thinking medications for AFib? If so, please share your experience with finding the right medication.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow