Viewer Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What types of procedures (for example cardioversion) have you undergone for AFib?

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had persistent A-Fib which was treated by cardiac ablation in April. The symptoms recurred after only two weeks. In August I had my second ablation - and that fixed it. It is now end of October and I have not had any recurrences. I am off all drugs which was my goal. I would highly recommend the procedure. My doctor told me he could do up to four ablations if necessary.

Comment from: ginqueen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I am having tests done to see if I have a-fib. After reading other peoples stories I am worried. 13 years ago I was diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome and the symptoms are very similar. I had a heart rate of 230 bpm, was de-fibbed, put on medication and had 4 ablations. Now a-fib!!! I was advised not to drink caffeine based drinks and foods (chocolate!) also when having palpitations to put my face into a bucket of ice, massage the neck where the pulse is and to sit on my haunches while holding nose and blow(like trying to unblock ears)but not all at the same time! Can't say that worked for me but hopefully that will work for others.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I'm male, 72. First A-Fib event 10 years ago. First cardioversion about 2 years ago, and three more since then. Normal rhythm lasts 5-6 months after cardioversion, then AF returns with no particular 'triggers' that I can determine. I have more energy and endurance when in normal rhythm. I'll continue with cardioversions as long as it makes sense to do so, and cardiologist (and Medicare Advantage company) agree.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I could not take the Metoprolol very long because of terrible leg cramps. Switched to Diltiazem and could tolerate better. Still have the leg cramps, but not as much if I don't take the meds every day. I am already on Coumadin for a mechanical valve.

Comment from: lbflorida, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have always had issues with my heart from palpitations since I was 15 yrs old, to now finally being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation it is such a uncomfortable feeling, I also suffer with HBP since 2000 and I have been on a beta blocker for two years now, I always feel weak and tired, my goal is to lose weight, I notice when I walk I feel stronger, however the feelings from this condition can be overwhelming, weakness in the chest, tightness in the chest and extreme flutters to the pint of feeling like I will pass out, this a scary feeling, I have a young child to raise and I want to finish school!

Comment from: mike v, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had an irregular/high heart rate for about three years before I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I would have spells lasting about 3 hours where my heart rate would fluxuate between 120 and 170 beats per minute; this would happen about three times a month, sometimes 3 times a week. The frustrating part is that it never happened when I was at the doctor's office. I finally asked my doctor what I should do when I have a spell and he said to go to the emergency room. As soon as I got there they hooked me up and it took them 10 seconds to make the diagnosis. I am just now starting medication.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter

Atrial flutter is a type of arrhyth...learn more >>

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Congestive heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms

What are your atrial fibrillation symptoms?

Atrial Fibrillation - Experience

Do you or someone you love have AFib? Please share your experience if you feel it may help others.

Atrial Fibrillation - Non Blood Clotting Medications

Do you take non blood thinning medications for AFib? If so, please share your experience with finding the right medication.

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) - Blood Thinning Medications

Do you take blood thinners? If so, please share your experience with the medications you have taken or are currently taking.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow