Viewer Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What types of procedures (for example cardioversion) have you undergone for AFib?

...
Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have a pacemaker/defibrillator and received a call from pacemaker clinic saying my pacemaker battery was showing low and needed to be changed. I was feeling bad, no energy, just beat and thought the low battery was causing the problem, no. They needed to change the entire pacemaker and just minutes before the cut was made the nurse said I was in atrial fibrillation for a month and out I went. They changed my pacemaker and home I went with a prescription for Pradaxa and didn't improve. May 2015 I was told that cardioversion was not a sure thing and it could cause more problems if they try it and I should just learn to live with my problem and take Pradaxa. I went to see a new cardiologist and he told me to change my Lipitor to Crestor and stop taking Pradaxa and start taking Eliquis. A short time after changing my drugs was I feeling good, not a lot more energy but felt good. About 3 months later I moved and changed my cardiologist who asked me why we don't try a cardioversion and he booked me in. Simple procedure, just shock your heart to see if it works. It worked and I feel like I never had a heart attack, and a lot more energy. If you fit the criteria give it a try. I was told after my original heart attack I had 28 percent heart function. Lower section of heart was damaged. Stop drinking water, drink just enough and that's it. The water hurts you and you don't realize it until you start gaining weight.

Comment from: Big Dennis, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had 4 cardioversions for my atrial fibrillation since March, 2012. I also have had over 30 EKGs, many blood draws, 1 TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram), 1 heart echo, 1 nuclear stress test and a whole lot of other tests.

Comment from: mauiTodd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had atrial fibrillation all the time for the last 5 years. Doctors performed a hybrid ablation procedure last November that cured me. No reoccurrence in the ten months since. They claim an 80 percent cure rate. I am told this special procedure is new and only available in the east coast at a few hospitals. Glad I had it done.

Comment from: abob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation about six years ago. I had no symptoms, it was caught on an EKG. I also have been diagnosed with blockage within the heart itself. However, I had no symptoms whatsoever until a few months ago when I started wearing a heart rate monitor during exercise. I am a fitness instructor and prior to that my heart rate the last 30 years has been around 60 consistently. My resting heart rate jumped to around 100. I went to a cardiologist who told me that it is normal for patients with atrial fibrillation. I do not take any medications, but watch my diet and continue to exercise 1 to 2 hours per day. The cardiologist suggested I take a blood thinner, but I have heard so many negative things about that. I have no symptoms other than my heart rate increase, during intense exercise, my heart rate reaches 160 plus.

Comment from: dustin, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

To start with I am 19 years old. I started having symptoms of atrial fibrillation even though I did not know what I had at the time. I went to the emergency room (ER) and needless to say, what a night! I started with an EKG that showed I had atrial fibrillation that worried me a little bit. They ran an IV and put some diltiazem in me which regulated my heart beat until the male nurse and I got into an argument. At that point my heart rate went to 150 which is borderline as they put it. Well, I did end up leaving the hospital on 12/18/15 at 2:15 against medical advice. If it starts to get worse I will go back to the hospital. I do plan to follow up with a heart doctor as soon as I can. I will keep posting as this goes on.

Comment from: tooyoung, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 46 year old female and have was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a year and half ago. Can I just say wow, this has been a difficult journey! I have no other health issues, therefore I am told that this is a big positive factor. However, I suffer from many symptoms and my cardiologist says that many doctors would find that interesting because the fact that many doctors say that 'fix the other health issues and atrial fibrillation patients should feel little or no symptoms'. Not true in my case, again I have no other health issues. Any way I am set to have a consultation regarding a catheter ablation and I am a bit nervous. My EKG was normal and when I wore the event monitor for weeks apparently it only showed a few rapid heartbeats and missed beats but I feel something wrong with my heart, I feel it! My cardiologist says that it is atrial fibrillation and I currently am taking diltiasem 30 mg twice a day and it does help. I have noticed the rapid heart rate not be as bad, but the missed beat and fluttering are still there as well as many symptoms. The first cardiothoracic surgeon said he felt I should not do the ablation and scared me out of it when my cardiologist feels I am a good candidate for the surgery since I have no other health issues pertaining to the heart. I will be wearing the event monitor for the second time, for a month and I am emotionally exhausted from this. Life changes have been overwhelming as well, I have not worked in over a year and half.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter

Atrial flutter is a type of arrhyth...learn more >>

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Congestive heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms

What are your atrial fibrillation symptoms?

Atrial Fibrillation - Experience

Do you or someone you love have AFib? Please share your experience if you feel it may help others.

Atrial Fibrillation - Non Blood Clotting Medications

Do you take non blood thinning medications for AFib? If so, please share your experience with finding the right medication.

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) - Blood Thinning Medications

Do you take blood thinners? If so, please share your experience with the medications you have taken or are currently taking.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow