Viewer Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What types of procedures (for example cardioversion) have you undergone for AFib?

...
Comment from: Big Dennis, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had 4 cardioversions for my atrial fibrillation since March, 2012. I also have had over 30 EKGs, many blood draws, 1 TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram), 1 heart echo, 1 nuclear stress test and a whole lot of other tests.

Comment from: mauiTodd, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had atrial fibrillation all the time for the last 5 years. Doctors performed a hybrid ablation procedure last November that cured me. No reoccurrence in the ten months since. They claim an 80 percent cure rate. I am told this special procedure is new and only available in the east coast at a few hospitals. Glad I had it done.

Comment from: dustin, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

To start with I am 19 years old. I started having symptoms of atrial fibrillation even though I did not know what I had at the time. I went to the emergency room (ER) and needless to say, what a night! I started with an EKG that showed I had atrial fibrillation that worried me a little bit. They ran an IV and put some diltiazem in me which regulated my heart beat until the male nurse and I got into an argument. At that point my heart rate went to 150 which is borderline as they put it. Well, I did end up leaving the hospital on 12/18/15 at 2:15 against medical advice. If it starts to get worse I will go back to the hospital. I do plan to follow up with a heart doctor as soon as I can. I will keep posting as this goes on.

Comment from: tooyoung, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 46 year old female and have was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a year and half ago. Can I just say wow, this has been a difficult journey! I have no other health issues, therefore I am told that this is a big positive factor. However, I suffer from many symptoms and my cardiologist says that many doctors would find that interesting because the fact that many doctors say that 'fix the other health issues and atrial fibrillation patients should feel little or no symptoms'. Not true in my case, again I have no other health issues. Any way I am set to have a consultation regarding a catheter ablation and I am a bit nervous. My EKG was normal and when I wore the event monitor for weeks apparently it only showed a few rapid heartbeats and missed beats but I feel something wrong with my heart, I feel it! My cardiologist says that it is atrial fibrillation and I currently am taking diltiasem 30 mg twice a day and it does help. I have noticed the rapid heart rate not be as bad, but the missed beat and fluttering are still there as well as many symptoms. The first cardiothoracic surgeon said he felt I should not do the ablation and scared me out of it when my cardiologist feels I am a good candidate for the surgery since I have no other health issues pertaining to the heart. I will be wearing the event monitor for the second time, for a month and I am emotionally exhausted from this. Life changes have been overwhelming as well, I have not worked in over a year and half.

Comment from: Dave, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

My heart was shocked 3 time in a row went right back into atrial fibrillation. I was told ablation would probably not work.

Comment from: Ronigrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had rheumatic heart failure as a kid which led to an enlarged heart and two damaged valves (aortic an mitral). My first surgery was to clear out scar tissue then several years later I had both valves replaced with mechanical valves. Since that surgery I was told that I fell into a small percentage group of people who will experience artial fibulation. I have had to have my heart "shocked" or "converted" about 6 times I am presently taking a medication which is being reviewed. It is so scary and I wonder how often a heart can be shocked like that without other problems. I feel well it is Friday and last Saturday I was cardio-verted.

Comment from: suzann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My a-fib was caused by hyperthyroidism (graves disease) 10 years ago. I drank radioactive iodine to treat the thyroid but the a-fib continued although infrequently. It has become more frequent in the last year. Monthly trips to the hospital via fire department medics. I would convert to sinus rhythm in the hospital with intravenous drugs. The last time my heart beat went to 6 second pauses so they put a pacemaker in so they could increase my Toprol XL to 100 mg. I have had my pacemaker for 2 weeks now and so far I haven't had to call the fire dept. My cardiologist said I still may need cardiac ablation. Time will tell.

Comment from: Laurie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm one of the lucky ones. While I've had afib since I was 25, it only occurs occasionally. It is becoming much more frequent over the last five to seven years. I've had them use the paddles once (prefer not to do that again!), and I spent two days in the hospital one other time. For the most part, I use Norpace/disopyramide phosphate and lots of patience. I can say that my symptoms seem to come and go harder now -- it can feel like getting punched when I go into or out of afib, with a "grab the counter so I don't fall" feeling.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Congestive heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib):

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) - Blood Thinning Medications

Do you take blood thinners? If so, please share your experience with the medications you have taken or are currently taking.

Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms

What are your atrial fibrillation symptoms?

Atrial Fibrillation - Experience

Do you or someone you love have AFib? Please share your experience if you feel it may help others.

Atrial Fibrillation - Non Blood Clotting Medications

Do you take non blood thinning medications for AFib? If so, please share your experience with finding the right medication.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow