Viewer Comments: Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Tinker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I experienced no symptoms at all. I went to my new doctor. She wanted to run an EKG, and it showed atrial flutter, so she sent me to a heart specialist. I had cardioversion which got me back to normal rhythm. Lately, I've had no problems at all. I started on Warfarin, and I didn't get stabilized on Warfarin for 6 months or so.

Comment from: Phoenix, Ariz., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

On May 28, 2011, I experienced an episode of AF for the first time. It happened while I was attending an outside graduation event in the sweltering heat of Arizona. When the situation occurred I felt faint and almost passed out. Luckily a nurse was on board who took my pulse and blood pressure and immediately called for an ambulance. I was hospitalized and diagnosed with AF, with a heart rate of 190. I was put on medication through an IV to bring down my heart rate to no avail. I eventually had a cardioversion procedure that corrected the problem---I thought.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I stood up and felt strange. I went to bathroom and felt like I couldn't breathe and that I was going to faint. I had to fight to hang on. When I got back to office down hall, I couldn't breathe. My heart was racing and beating fast and irregular. My pulse was 110. I went to ER where they ran tests.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

My Atrial Flutter started when I had the flu. I had shortness of breath, light-headedness and felt weak and tired. However, when I recovered from the flu, these symptoms continued. I sometimes get very red and flushed in the face, I feel like my head will explode. I thought I was having "anxiety" attacks but my sister who is a cardiac nurse suspected I had an irregular heart rate. She took me to a cardiologist who performed an EKG in his office and diagnosed me.

I have atrial flutter, and any activity causes me to be short of breath.

Comment from: Eve, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I started have atrial flutter about three years ago on and off. During these recent months, I have been feeling the more often and I get so scared because I feel like I'm going to die. I am going to have my heart monitored to see what the doctor can do next. I really hope there is a cure for this because this is the scariest thing I have ever felt in my life.

Comment from: Dianne J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have atrial fibrillation (ten years) controlled by Sotalol. However I have just had an experience of dizziness and nausea along with the 'flutter', also weakness and tiredness. At times like these it is easy to 'panic' and read perhaps more into it than there is, I hope I'm right in thinking this. On this occasion I have simply abandoned all my plans and rested.

Comment from: Walt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I went for my yearly physical and all went well until the EKG. They said your atrial flutter is back. They called and I was able to see the doctor that performed my first two ablations. The EKG showed atrial flutter. He put me on coumadin until I could be seen at the hospital the next week. I had absolutely no symptoms, blood pressure was normal and heart rate was 58 to 60 beats per minute. My first ablation was after I discovered my heart was beating at 150 beats per minute. I felt dizzy and out of sorts. My second ablation was after I felt an elevated heart rate of 100 beats per minute and found it with my blood pressure monitor. I got no irregular heart rate with my current condition, still don't on my blood pressure monitor.

Comment from: MRW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

The first time I had atrial flutter, I woke up in the middle of the night and my heart was racing. I did not experience any chest pain, but I was short of breath. It felt like I had just worked out. I lay in bed for awhile and finally got up and went to ER. I was taking some OTC cold and cough medications, and the doctors at the ER attributed the AF to that. Well a week ago I had my second bout of AF. The only thing I take is an OTC multivitamin; I no longer take any decongestants, and I monitor my caffeine intake. I work out 4 days a week, and have no other medical problems. I was sitting at home one evening and stood up, that is all it took. It was AF again.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Flutter

Heart Rhythm Disorders (Arrhythmias)
Heart Rhythm Disorders The primary function of the heart is to supply blood and nutrients to the body. The regular beating, or contraction, of the heart moves the blood throughout the...learn more >>
Palpitations
Palpitations Palpitations is a term that describes the feeling that occurs when an individual can feel an abnormality in the normal beating of their heart. There are several...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your atrial flutter?