Viewer Comments: Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: MRW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

The first time I had atrial flutter, I woke up in the middle of the night and my heart was racing. I did not experience any chest pain, but I was short of breath. It felt like I had just worked out. I lay in bed for awhile and finally got up and went to ER. I was taking some OTC cold and cough medications, and the doctors at the ER attributed the AF to that. Well a week ago I had my second bout of AF. The only thing I take is an OTC multivitamin; I no longer take any decongestants, and I monitor my caffeine intake. I work out 4 days a week, and have no other medical problems. I was sitting at home one evening and stood up, that is all it took. It was AF again.

Related Reading: multivitamin

Comment from: JWC, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

My husband noticed an occasional rapid heart rate - that would resolve on its own. Was also experiencing anxiety at night, and feeling warm. (A new problem.) I took prednisone for a muscle problem, and the rapid heart rate came back and lasted longer. Thought it was a side effect of the prednisone and went to see the doctor. While in the office, they took an EKG and saw the atrial flutter.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: Dickey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

For years I had from time to time the feeling of low blood sugar. I would eat something and the feeling would go away. I thought it was no big deal and the symptoms occurred several times a year but I had no further symptoms. Then one day I had palpations that did not go away for about 6 hours. We were out of town and when we came home, we called our doctor and he sent me to the emergency room. By the time we got there the symptoms had subsided and I was sent home. About 2 years later, I had another long episode of the flutter and this time arrived at the Emergency Room is plenty of time for them to document what was happening. That led to ultimately getting ablation to my heart... fascinating to watch on the monitor as the doctor guided the camera and something to cauterize the misbehaving electrical element in my heart. The thing that now concerns me is all the people who have atrial flutter and do not know it but assume that the feeling of low blood sugar was just that as they go on with the day. For me the symptoms have been a part of my life for 40 years and I suppose at any time there could have been serious complications, including death. So I am telling anyone who will listen what it felt like and to pay attention to it. PS... the procedure was long but painless and very interesting.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had type 2 diabetes for several years controlled by tablets. Recently I felt dizzy after walking quickly, was out of breath, but did not actually faint. I had three similar attacks always after walking quickly (I have a stenosis in my right leg). I was diagnosed with an irregular heart beat and rapid pulse, admitted to a cardiac ward for treatment and am now currently taking warfarin. My condition is being closely monitored by the hospital.

Comment from: Dede, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My first symptom of atrial flutter occurred while playing soccer. Winded, short of breath as if out of shape, overexertion. Then noticed my heartbeat going crazy. I laid down and began to break into cold sweat. Experienced pressure and pain in chest, upper back, and neck. Light headed. After 30 min, the symptoms didn't stop, and I went to the ER. I was hooked to a heart monitor--230 BPM. Administered IV Adenosine 3X. That didn't work. Then administered another medication, which finally worked after 5 minutes. The doctors could not figure out the cause. I think it was from taking Diprovan with Adderall (this issue was serious side effect). I had been taking Adderall for three years with no issues. Diprovan was the only thing new (five days into it flutter occurred).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 54 years old, have had atrial flutter for 20 years. My cardiologist says it's from an ASD repair, (hole in my heart) repaired at age 10. It triggers from the area that I had surgery. I guess it's common for this to appear years later. I agree it is very frightening when it happens, and I'm considering ablation procedure, which they claim is very successful. It seems to happen when I'm tired, stressed, or for no reason at all, it can last from 1 to 7 hours.

Comment from: Old Warb, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have 140 beats per minute heart rate, breathlessness and I am unable to lie down due to fluid in my lungs, and chest pain. It feels very similar to heartburn.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Flutter

Heart Rhythm Disorders (Arrhythmias)
Heart Rhythm Disorders The primary function of the heart is to supply blood and nutrients to the body. The regular beating, or contraction, of the heart moves the blood throughout the...learn more >>
Palpitations
Palpitations Palpitations is a term that describes the feeling that occurs when an individual can feel an abnormality in the normal beating of their heart. There are several...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your atrial flutter?