Viewer Comments: Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Dede, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My first symptom of atrial flutter occurred while playing soccer. Winded, short of breath as if out of shape, overexertion. Then noticed my heartbeat going crazy. I laid down and began to break into cold sweat. Experienced pressure and pain in chest, upper back, and neck. Light headed. After 30 min, the symptoms didn't stop, and I went to the ER. I was hooked to a heart monitor--230 BPM. Administered IV Adenosine 3X. That didn't work. Then administered another medication, which finally worked after 5 minutes. The doctors could not figure out the cause. I think it was from taking Diprovan with Adderall (this issue was serious side effect). I had been taking Adderall for three years with no issues. Diprovan was the only thing new (five days into it flutter occurred).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 54 years old, have had atrial flutter for 20 years. My cardiologist says it's from an ASD repair, (hole in my heart) repaired at age 10. It triggers from the area that I had surgery. I guess it's common for this to appear years later. I agree it is very frightening when it happens, and I'm considering ablation procedure, which they claim is very successful. It seems to happen when I'm tired, stressed, or for no reason at all, it can last from 1 to 7 hours.

Comment from: Old Warb, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have 140 beats per minute heart rate, breathlessness and I am unable to lie down due to fluid in my lungs, and chest pain. It feels very similar to heartburn.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Flutter

Heart Rhythm Disorders (Arrhythmias)
Heart Rhythm Disorders Heart rhythm disorders are conditions that causes changes in the normal heartbeat. These disorders, collectively known as arrhythmia, may be caused by abnormali...learn more >>
Palpitations
Palpitations Palpitations is a term that describes the feeling that occurs when an individual can feel an abnormality in the normal beating of their heart. There are several...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your atrial flutter?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow