Viewer Comments: Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kari, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have unspecified atrial flutter. I have events about every 10 days or so. I have pain in my chest when I have the events. I sometimes feel a little short of breath after an hour or two. I think it's due to the anxiety of the event because when I take a few deep breaths and relax my shoulders it seems to get better. It also makes me have to urinate very often during these events. I wonder if this will ever go away or if I will have it forever. I'm pretty healthy except for this. My events last 1 to 4 hours.

Comment from: Clint, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I have lived with arrhythmia (ventricular ectopic beats) and sinus bradycardia nearly all my life. I also have exercised keenly and continuously. I now realize (having been desensitized by the experience of life-long arrhythmia) I have been experiencing atrial flutter for many years, often merely triggered by innocuous things like the alarm clock in the morning, sudden unexpected exertion or changes in position, postprandial, and most lately, after strong exercise. Episodes may last 12 plus hours and heart rate at 130 plus and irregular. I take, nor have I ever taken any medication. In fact, I am reluctant to do so. I have recently acceded to an appointment with a cardiologist to determine the basis of the underlying putative conduction problem, chiefly because I am unable to exercise strongly if in atrial flutter and because of the sustained irregular tachycardia post-exercise. I continue to embrace life as fully and vigorously as I have always done.

Comment from: helen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Last week I fell backwards hard against a wall hitting an electrical multiple outlet on the left side of my back just below my rib cage causing pain and upon getting up, my heart was beating irregularly. I went to the emergency room, was diagnosed with atrial flutter (AF), given blood thinner and follow up appointments with cardiologist and sent home with monitor for 48 hours. I was told that the fall and blow to the back was not the cause of the AF (just a coincidence)! Atrial flutter stopped after 10 hours, and rate has been normal. I felt tired for a day and back is painful to touch and some movement, also a large bruise. I believe the fall and bow to my back precipitated the AF event.

Comment from: Papa, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

4 years ago I woke up with a rapid heart rate and chest pain. At the ER I was diagnosed with atrial flutter. After several changes of meds I was placed on Topral. Over time these spells of lightheadedness became worse but even a new cardiologist seemed stumped. EKG, ultrasound and stress tests were normal and finally 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with POTS and taken off of the Topral so that my B/P wouldn't drop so much. Needless to say after much frustration we have found a new Dr. who finally put me on an event monitor, bingo I have atrial flutter and I am now scheduled to see an electrophysiologist in 2 weeks for a probable ablation. I may still be having other vasovagel problems but at least I am thankful that my wife wouldn't give up and finally found a cardiologist who is not only listening but actually doing appropriate tests to find the problems. So our advice is if you aren't getting treatment find the very best Dr. at major medical teaching facility.

Comment from: Suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My a/f generally happens following a meal containing acidy or fatty food especially if I have alcohol, however I can go months without one then have 2 or 3 in a week. My heart rate goes up to nearly 200bpm and my blood pressure sores. I don't have any other symptoms thankfully and my consultant told me to go to ER if it doesn't go back to normal within 6 hours. I take bisoprolol when it occurs and clopidogrel and simvastatin everyday. When I am free of the AF I try to forget about it and carry on with life as normal but when it happens oh dear I think I am going to die! Unfortunately the doctors don't know what part of my heart is affected because the last time I was in ER and had an ECG they lost the read out! So I have to wait for another attack and go the 20 miles to the nearest hospital.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Two weeks following aortic valve replacement I felt several preventricular contractions and then a pounding heart at a rate of 160 beats per minute. Patient instructions following surgery said to go to the emergency room immediately if the heart rate went above 150. In the emergency room it was confirmed that I had atrial flutter. Luckily I converted to normal sinus rhythm on my own about 16 hours later, just before they were to take me in for cardioversion. Apparently, the inflammatory response that occurs during healing following cardiac surgery can lead to these arrhythmias. I was placed on Sotalol for several weeks and haven't had a recurrence (it has now been over two years). I have no other cardiac abnormalities - just a really leaky aortic valve that lead to the surgery.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Flutter

Heart Rhythm Disorders (Arrhythmias)
Heart Rhythm Disorders Heart rhythm disorders are conditions that causes changes in the normal heartbeat. These disorders, collectively known as arrhythmia, may be caused by abnormali...learn more >>
Palpitations
Palpitations Palpitations is a term that describes the feeling that occurs when an individual can feel an abnormality in the normal beating of their heart. There are several...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your atrial flutter?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow