Viewer Comments: Atrial Flutter - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your atrial flutter?

Comment from: baxbat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Two years ago I had my first bout atrial flutter discovered during routine doctor's appointment and I was sent to the ICU. I now take a daily low dose aspirin and a calcium channel blocker (diltiazem) and am awaiting ablation...I have also lost 110lbs (down from 300), quit drinking and quit smoking. I have not had another problem with flutter in more than a year.

Comment from: Jaxryde, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I was just released from ICU after being taken to trauma after a bout of rapid heart rate, high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat. I was suspected of having a massive heart attack. After a clean angiogram and echocardiogram, I was stabilized after three days, released on heart drugs and referred to a cardiologist. I was told I had atrial flutter and was scheduled for ablation which should cure the problem for good. Otherwise this condition can be treated with drugs, which have unwanted side effects.

Comment from: chryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I feel like I have butterflies in my chest. I counted within a week maybe 12 times. My doctor didn't seem worried about it. I'm wondering if I should see another doctor.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have been having Atrial Fibrillation for the past 20 years of my life, I am now 49 years of age and it has become far worse than ever before, instead of the occasional skipped beat, now it's staying for 12 -16 beats or one event it even lasted more than an hour. I'm living in Australia now, so I've been put on a waiting list since the last episode, which was 3 months ago. My younger brother was having the same problems and a doctor prescribed medication for it. About 6 years ago I'd seen a GP and asked for the same. I think it helped for the first five years, but it no longer working... I find it very terrifying when I go into flutter... I'm often short of breath, my knees get weak, and I break out in a cold sweat... it really is terrifying... but the doctors don't seem to be too concerned.

I was given shock treatment for atrial flutter.

My son, 15 years old was just diagnosed with this last week. He went in for a heart catherization which is where they found it. They did an ablation to the area and we will know for sure in 3 weeks when he takes another stress test to see if this is still there. No medication is needed. Just drink 64-80 ounces day and include salt in your diet. Retaining water helps the oxygen flow to the brain.

Must Read Articles Related to Atrial Flutter

Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or learn more >>

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Cardiomyopathy
Cardiomyopathy

Cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart that can be caused by a variety of other diseases, conditions, medications, and heredity. Cardiomyopathy causes can ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Flutter:

Atrial Flutter - Experience

Please share your experience with atrial flutter.

Atrial Flutter - Symptoms

For atrial flutter, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow