Viewer Comments: Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?

Comment from: Sara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I started feeling tired, had loss of appetite, shivers, then burning hot fever of 102 degrees for 3 days. I started wheezing when inhaling; this startled me as I have never had anything like this before. I drove to the doctor feeling like I was dying, she came into the room and said I look very sick. I told her my symptoms, she listened to my lungs with stethoscope, and said I have bacterial pneumonia. No wonder I was sick I said, and she gave me antibiotics which really helped me, and an inhaler. I started feeling better, but now I have shortness of breath and feel very tired all the time; not much appetite yet.

Comment from: gwemed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

Don't let a chronic cough, even with no other symptoms fool you. I had a cough and would get a couple of tired spells during the day. I chalked it up to GERD and had an appointment made with my gastroenterologist weeks away. Then it got to where I couldn't go 100 feet without having to sit and catch my breath. Any exertion put me in a tail spin. I ended up going to the emergency room and was diagnosed with double pneumonia and was sent home with Levaquin (7 days, 750 mg). I thought I'd be much better in 2 or 3 days but I didn't really feel anything significant for 5 days. Pneumonia is very serious. It can take your life if it gets out of hand.

Comment from: Meca1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

After a week of cough and temperature I decided to go to the hospital. I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia and put on antibiotics which gave me the side effect of mouth thrush. I could not eat or drink and I thought at the time, this was the end of me. I lost 4 stones in a period of 12 days. After 8 days in the hospital I was discharged but never recovered fully. I was 33 years old at the time and now after 4 years I still suffer with this bacteria they can't get rid of. Every 3 months I see a specialist and they are puzzled why the antibiotics are not working. There is cough ant infected sputum every day. I don't know what to do, it is affecting my everyday life. Horrible stuff.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever/...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?