Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Comment from: Parthenia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I just remember having a cough. I have had a cough in the past that lasted more than a month, but finally went away. I thought this was just an allergy, so I did nothing for about six weeks. I was talking to my cousin about a week or so ago. When she heard me coughing, she told me to go and get checked for pneumonia. Sure enough, I was told I had pneumonia. They gave me a shot, took an x-ray, and prescribed an antibiotic. The cough continued. I feel tired, and cannot sleep.

Comment from: dhag51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Age 60. I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia. I had a 102.5 degree fever, severe chills, and coughing with dark colored sputum. I was prescribed 500 mg. Levaquin (antibiotic) 1 daily; Ventolin (albuterol) inhaler two puffs every four hours and Tussionex cough medication. I was sick as a dog. I thought I was dying!

Comment from: Bac Infection, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I had no fever or other symptoms; just a cough and shortness of breath which continued to get worse over a four-week period. This was followed with difficulty breathing when lying down, accompanied by wheezing. I went to a doctor who prescribed steroids and antibiotics for bacterial infection. I began to feel better within hours of taking the meds. Managed to sleep comfortably the first night after starting antibiotics.

Comment from: cuda1956, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I have been weak and achy for two weeks. I have been coughing up yellow sputum every morning. Finally I decided I needed to see a doctor, who did blood test and X-rays. He said I had mycoplasma pneumonia. Gave an antibiotic shot and prescribed Advair, doxycycline hyclate and hydrocodone. I hope it works because I have been feeling like I have been run over by a truck.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

As this wasn't my first "rodeo" with pneumonia I didn't really think I was that sick. I went to the ER and I even drove myself there. A chest X-ray revealed a left lobe bacterial pneumonia. I was treated with high dosages antibiotics.

Comment from: Margaret, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

I've had whole body aches/chills for 24 hours with a productive cough not the usual cold symptoms at all because it all came on suddenly.

Comment from: akbertol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had chest pain, fatigue, upset stomach, coughing, headache, and severe back pain. I had a chest X-ray. I was given an antibiotic, cough medicine and now I'm taking Mucinex.

Comment from: Middle Aged Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My only symptom was severe chest pain. Z-Pack was prescribed.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am a 71 year old female in medium health and watch my great grandson after school. During the Xmas break I had him all day during the break and he developed a cough and fever which was diagnosed as pneumonia. The doctor gave him Zithromax and Augmentin for 7 days and he recovered nicely.

Comment from: allessior, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I went to the emergency room of Hospital A with a 102F fever, coughing, very dizzy, and they took a chest x-ray and blood work and concluded I had blood pneumonia. The white cell count was high and they noticed something on the lower right lobe of the right lung. They treated me for 1/2 day with intravenous IV and released me with a prescription of Avelox.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?