Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Comment from: cuda1956, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I have been weak and achy for two weeks. I have been coughing up yellow sputum every morning. Finally I decided I needed to see a doctor, who did blood test and X-rays. He said I had mycoplasma pneumonia. Gave an antibiotic shot and prescribed Advair, doxycycline hyclate and hydrocodone. I hope it works because I have been feeling like I have been run over by a truck.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

As this wasn't my first "rodeo" with pneumonia I didn't really think I was that sick. I went to the ER and I even drove myself there. A chest X-ray revealed a left lobe bacterial pneumonia. I was treated with high dosages antibiotics.

Comment from: Margaret, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

I've had whole body aches/chills for 24 hours with a productive cough not the usual cold symptoms at all because it all came on suddenly.

Comment from: akbertol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had chest pain, fatigue, upset stomach, coughing, headache, and severe back pain. I had a chest X-ray. I was given an antibiotic, cough medicine and now I'm taking Mucinex.

Comment from: Middle Aged Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My only symptom was severe chest pain. Z-Pack was prescribed.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am a 71 year old female in medium health and watch my great grandson after school. During the Xmas break I had him all day during the break and he developed a cough and fever which was diagnosed as pneumonia. The doctor gave him Zithromax and Augmentin for 7 days and he recovered nicely.

Comment from: allessior, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I went to the emergency room of Hospital A with a 102F fever, coughing, very dizzy, and they took a chest x-ray and blood work and concluded I had blood pneumonia. The white cell count was high and they noticed something on the lower right lobe of the right lung. They treated me for 1/2 day with intravenous IV and released me with a prescription of Avelox.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

Broad-spectrum antibiotic (Avelox), Prednisone with Albuterol Inhaler as needed, fluids, REST.

Comment from: JWilkes50@aol.com, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I was diagnosed one week ago. The doctor put me on Levaquin (levofloxacin), 500 mg., once daily. My fever is virtually gone. Night sweats have stopped; however, I still sweat in my hair a little during sleep. I am 64 years old and in great health. Hopefully, the recovery won't be long. I take no other medications.

Comment from: magills, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 24

My son was given Azithromycin to take for five days, but after the third dose he was no better, actually worse. I took him to the ER where they administered Avelox intravenously. He was admitted and today is the second day of Avelox. His condition has improved greater. Still coughing and fever of 100, but definitely better than 103. Chest x-ray confirmed bacterial pneumonia. He is 20 years old.

Comment from: debo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I also was put on a course of Avelox at home but after 4 days of it I still only a slight improvement. This is the 2nd time I have gotten pneumonia in just a few months.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?