Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Comment from: suec, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

For my pneumonia, I was hospitalized, as both my lungs were infected. I received Lasix injections and antibiotics. It was not helping, so I had a bronchoscopy done. A large amount of fluid was drained from my lungs. The doctor stated that there was something like a cork/plug holding up the fluid from draining. I was sent home two days later, and was still very sick/weak, with no appetite. The nurse said I should be getting some strength back in about 7 to 10 days.

Comment from: Caregiver of two, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My 11 year old daughter started with a fever. On the fourth day I took her to the Doctor's because her fever went away but she started with a chronic cough and hives. (Students in her school were recently diagnosed with pneumonia). Her lungs sounded clear and they said it was viral. Over the next 6 days and 2 more office visits, they gave me cough medicine and an inhaler. On the 10th day, 4th dr. visit, she was finally diagnosed with pneumonia through hearing the crackling in her lungs. She given Amoxicillin and was remarkably better after 24 hours. 20 days later her sister now has it (determined by x-ray) and I think I probably do too--need to get a chest x-ray.

Related Reading: Amoxicillin

Comment from: barbaral1965, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My sister has double pneumonia. She has been in the ICU for five days and she's on a respirator. Doctors tried to take her off the respirator, but too much carbon dioxide builds up without it.

Comment from: kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have been sick for over a month. It started with a sinus infection then went to my chest no it is walking pneumonia. I can't sleep at night for coughing even though I am taking some medicine the doctor gave me. I am on two different types of antibiotics also. I went in for a chest X-ray today and should find out the results soon. I get out of breath very quickly and if I try to do too much end up coughing my lungs out. The other day I coughed so much I became faint and passed out.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I saw doctor on Friday and she heard pneumonia in right lung. Diagnosis was walking pneumonia. Two meds were prescribed: 1000 mg of amoxicillin/day and another medication with codeine for lung pain. Any sputum that came up was grey and very sticky. One week later (now) head congestion is significantly reduced, energy level is about 90%, and my cough is shallower but chest and lung pain are still present. All in all, I'm feeling a lot better.

Related Reading: codeine

Comment from: Parthenia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I just remember having a cough. I have had a cough in the past that lasted more than a month, but finally went away. I thought this was just an allergy, so I did nothing for about six weeks. I was talking to my cousin about a week or so ago. When she heard me coughing, she told me to go and get checked for pneumonia. Sure enough, I was told I had pneumonia. They gave me a shot, took an x-ray, and prescribed an antibiotic. The cough continued. I feel tired, and cannot sleep.

Comment from: dhag51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Age 60. I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia. I had a 102.5 degree fever, severe chills, and coughing with dark colored sputum. I was prescribed 500 mg. Levaquin (antibiotic) 1 daily; Ventolin (albuterol) inhaler two puffs every four hours and Tussionex cough medication. I was sick as a dog. I thought I was dying!

Related Reading: albuterol

Comment from: Bac Infection, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I had no fever or other symptoms; just a cough and shortness of breath which continued to get worse over a four-week period. This was followed with difficulty breathing when lying down, accompanied by wheezing. I went to a doctor who prescribed steroids and antibiotics for bacterial infection. I began to feel better within hours of taking the meds. Managed to sleep comfortably the first night after starting antibiotics.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?