Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Comment from: busylady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I became ill in June with a fever of 101 with shaking chills and generalized body aches. The fever persisted for 4 days. I had no respiratory symptoms, no cough, no shortness of breath and was not coughing up any mucus. I felt progressively worse as the week went by. I saw my physician who listened to my lungs and they were clear. She thought it was a virus but, just in case, sent me for a chest X-ray and put me on an antibiotic. The X-ray revealed pneumonia which had affected 2 lobes of my lung. We were all pretty shocked that I had this since it was summer and I didn't have any respiratory symptoms. I am young and healthy.

Comment from: bigbadjim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

My symptoms of pneumonia started out like an allergic reaction when I went back to work after a July 4th holiday weekend. I thought my wife switched brands of laundry soap but she didn't. I had red itchy welts all over my body. After a week it went away but I still felt weak and tired. As time progressed I was coughing up yellow/brown mucus that was thick and I coughed a lot. I had night sweats where I would soak a pillow. I kept going to bed earlier and earlier as time went on. I got to the point where I had no energy and had a hard time breathing. I finally went to the emergency room the week after Labor Day and guess what? I was in the hospital for two weeks. I had to take antibiotics every six hours for six weeks then oral antibiotics for two weeks. I had a chest tube in me for 4 months and just had it removed January 12 2010. I go back to work this next week after over 7 mounts out of work!

Comment from: Alli, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I recently had pneumonia. I had a high fever, accompanied by coughing and shortness of breath. I was treated in the ER and then I was admitted to the hospital for four days. The doctors advised me that this can take a month to clear up.

Comment from: schristy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 15

I began to feel tired Friday evening. By Saturday had shaking chills, and even with eight blankets and space heater, nothing helped. I had a fever over 103. I went to the doctor on day 6 and I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia in left lung. This was a TOTAL surprise since I've never been sick in my life!

Comment from: Draglyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I went to work Monday. As the day progressed I felt more tired and started sneezing fits. Monday night I had trouble sleeping. By Tuesday morning I woke up long enough to call for an appointment and found out I had walking pneumonia and a sinus infection. I got double antibiotics, an inhaler and some decongestants. All though I am better, I am still weak and coughing stuff up. Hot tea with honey has helped.

Comment from: Ladybugg96, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a cough for about two weeks. I thought it was just cold and sinus related. I get it every year. Then the chest pain on the left side started, along with shortness of breath and a cough that produced sputum with brown and red spots in it. I have chills and a headache along with body aches and that “floating head” feel you get when you feel fuzzy. The doctor said it's walking pneumonia and I was given an inhaler to help with the shortness of breath and an antibiotic for the infection. I have a follow-up appointment in a week unless I begin to feel worse. My doctor said my cough can last up to six more weeks.

Comment from: moosemountain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 52 year-old female and very healthy, and I take no medications. It started with severe aches, especially neck and back, and dry tickle chest cough which kept me from sleeping. I also had a stomach ache one night. I had a fever for several days, and wheezing in chest upon exhale. Finally went to emergency room after waking up with very severe pain in left chest under breast when I coughed. Thought I had cracked a rib when I had 10 minute sneezing fit day before. Bacterial pneumonia was diagnosis.

Comment from: rjnsound, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had a cold and some chest pain, which subsided, but the cough and congestion remained... I couldn't seem to cough anything out of my chest. The center of my chest was heavy and ached with a sharp-ish pain in the lower right side when breathing deeply. After 2 weeks of this, I went to my doctor who said I have bronchitis and bacterial pneumonia and sent me for an X-ray. The prescription said "diminished sound in right lower lung accompanied by pain". They said the X-ray didn't show enough and sent me for a CT scan. It was just done today, but I am hoping the Augmentin helps so I don't end up in the hospital.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?