Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Comment from: floppy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I thought I just had a routine chest cold. After 4 days of a pounding headache, 101-104 degree temperatures, chest pain, bed sweats, chills.....pretty much just total torture. On day 5 I went to the ER. Ends up it wasn't a chest cold. A large shot of antibiotics in the rear and some horse-sized pills and the fever has subsided. Now it's just some hot sweats with no fever and an aching cough. This is day 7.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I started out with a cough and stuffy nose. Then the next few days I had fever from between 100.9 to 103.2. I was fever free the next morning, but was still coughing a lot. The day after that, I was feeling bad again with a temperature of 102.4. Finally, I felt really bad on the 7th day of being sick with 104.0 temperature and coughing all night long and into the morning. I went to a clinic and they said I needed to get to the ER. I went to the ER and they did a chest X-ray and determined I had bacterial pneumonia. I am 50 years of age. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I was just released today with Levaquin 500 mg. that I have to take for 7 days. I have an appointment with the doctor in 1 week. I should have seen a doctor after being sick for 5 days but I waited until day 8. I won't be doing that ever again.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I'm the partner of a 38 yr old man who was diagnosed with pneumonia on the 11th of September. He had felt ill for a while but felt worse in the past, we so never thought he was that seriously ill. He suddenly became very nauseated, very cold and couldn't breathe, so went to the nearest ER, and within 20 minutes, he had developed sepsis and went into septic shock. All of his organs shut down and he has been on a ventilator ever since. He is now in a very slow recovery, and none of us thought he would make it. He still has renal failure, and is having to have his feet amputated, but he's still alive, which is all I can ask for. We have having four young children and having to tell them that their daddy may not come home is my worst nightmare.

Comment from: c.b., 45-54 Female Published: October 06

I went to bed, feeling like I was coming down with the flu. By 2am, I had shaking chills and a temp greater than 104. The worst part was the severe weakness. The next morning my hubby took me to a walk-in clinic. I couldn't even walk; I was so weak, my husband got a wheelchair to bring me in. The doc examined me and labs were drawn. I asked for a chest x-ray (b/c I've had pneumonia 4x before)--the doc questioned my request saying "But you are not coughing". I insisted and the X/R was done--it showed bilateral pneumonias. At this point, I was starting to have chest pain and my breathing had become rapid. My husband drove me to the E.R. and I was admitted; but within 1 hr of admission, I crashed. My BP dropped to an undetectable level on the BP machine. I was transferred to ICU and spent 4 days there--twice a code was called due to respiratory arrest. I developed severe abdominal pain and nausea/vomiting from an enlarged spleen and liver. I had no cough and was unable to produce any sputum to culture. I have to say, this whole experience was surreal. I was discharged after 8 days in the hospital.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Yesterday was told that I have pneumonia. I thought my shortness of breath was from allergies. I have a dry nagging cough which doesn't allow me to sleep, and sweating but no fever. I started antibiotics (Levaquin) yesterday. It's scary when you can't take a full intake of air. I have 5 days of pills and I hope I will get better. Wish I knew the source of catching this...it is not fun....

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

When i was about 14 I was having trouble breathing and I could stay up in class I was always complaining of my chest hurting. I thought it was just a common cold or the flu from cheering out in the hail and rain so I just stayed home. Well when I couldn't walk anymore that started to worry me. I had no idea what was wrong; it felt like I was dying. My mom had come home my temp was 103 she got scared. I had to be carried out to the car and into the hospital. It felt like my chest was collapsing. I'm already pale as it is, but I was grayish looking and had no color. It was going from my right lung and a little in my left. I was walking around with it for 1 and a half weeks with out any doctor suspecting anything. After a while of staying home I finally got better although I couldn't and wouldn't eat. I got better.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?