Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Comment from: schristy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 15

I began to feel tired Friday evening. By Saturday had shaking chills, and even with eight blankets and space heater, nothing helped. I had a fever over 103. I went to the doctor on day 6 and I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia in left lung. This was a TOTAL surprise since I've never been sick in my life!

Comment from: Draglyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I went to work Monday. As the day progressed I felt more tired and started sneezing fits. Monday night I had trouble sleeping. By Tuesday morning I woke up long enough to call for an appointment and found out I had walking pneumonia and a sinus infection. I got double antibiotics, an inhaler and some decongestants. All though I am better, I am still weak and coughing stuff up. Hot tea with honey has helped.

Comment from: Ladybugg96, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a cough for about two weeks. I thought it was just cold and sinus related. I get it every year. Then the chest pain on the left side started, along with shortness of breath and a cough that produced sputum with brown and red spots in it. I have chills and a headache along with body aches and that “floating head” feel you get when you feel fuzzy. The doctor said it's walking pneumonia and I was given an inhaler to help with the shortness of breath and an antibiotic for the infection. I have a follow-up appointment in a week unless I begin to feel worse. My doctor said my cough can last up to six more weeks.

Comment from: moosemountain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 52 year-old female and very healthy, and I take no medications. It started with severe aches, especially neck and back, and dry tickle chest cough which kept me from sleeping. I also had a stomach ache one night. I had a fever for several days, and wheezing in chest upon exhale. Finally went to emergency room after waking up with very severe pain in left chest under breast when I coughed. Thought I had cracked a rib when I had 10 minute sneezing fit day before. Bacterial pneumonia was diagnosis.

Comment from: rjnsound, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had a cold and some chest pain, which subsided, but the cough and congestion remained... I couldn't seem to cough anything out of my chest. The center of my chest was heavy and ached with a sharp-ish pain in the lower right side when breathing deeply. After 2 weeks of this, I went to my doctor who said I have bronchitis and bacterial pneumonia and sent me for an X-ray. The prescription said "diminished sound in right lower lung accompanied by pain". They said the X-ray didn't show enough and sent me for a CT scan. It was just done today, but I am hoping the Augmentin helps so I don't end up in the hospital.

Comment from: Concerned Mom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My 6yr old daughter woke up 5 days ago with vomiting, fever, chills and weakness. I took her to the doctor and she tested negative for H1N1. The doctor felt she had a new virus. She was getting over another virus as well as a urinary tract infection. The cough was still there. She had fevers up to 104 degrees. I took her into ER and they took chest x-rays. She had pneumonia in the upper right lobe. Today is her first day back to school. She is still having pain in that area when she breathes, but her fever is gone and she has more energy.

Comment from: Marcia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had a cough, fever, nausea, body aches for 2 1/2 days. I couldn't breathe easily during the night, and I went to doctor next morning. I was told I had H1N1 and pneumonia in one lung. Doctor gave me Tamiflu and an antibiotic. I've been really sick so I took a week off work. I was diagnosed 12 days ago. My chest and back still feel heavy and achy, but the cough is getting better. I have no energy and I've been sleeping a lot.

Comment from: floppy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I thought I just had a routine chest cold. After 4 days of a pounding headache, 101-104 degree temperatures, chest pain, bed sweats, chills.....pretty much just total torture. On day 5 I went to the ER. Ends up it wasn't a chest cold. A large shot of antibiotics in the rear and some horse-sized pills and the fever has subsided. Now it's just some hot sweats with no fever and an aching cough. This is day 7.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I started out with a cough and stuffy nose. Then the next few days I had fever from between 100.9 to 103.2. I was fever free the next morning, but was still coughing a lot. The day after that, I was feeling bad again with a temperature of 102.4. Finally, I felt really bad on the 7th day of being sick with 104.0 temperature and coughing all night long and into the morning. I went to a clinic and they said I needed to get to the ER. I went to the ER and they did a chest X-ray and determined I had bacterial pneumonia. I am 50 years of age. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I was just released today with Levaquin 500 mg. that I have to take for 7 days. I have an appointment with the doctor in 1 week. I should have seen a doctor after being sick for 5 days but I waited until day 8. I won't be doing that ever again.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?