Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

...
Comment from: anon71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I got pneumonia whilst working in Kuala Lumpur. I started with what I thought was a cold but I couldn't get warm and had goose bumps all over my body and was shivering. I went to the doctor who said I had a virus and therefore didn't need antibiotics. After a few days I started to feel worse and then really disoriented and sick. Luckily someone called BUPA for me as I was covered through my employers. They advised to take me straight to hospital and within the hour I was on a nebulizer and hooked up to a drip of antibiotics. I was in for 3 days and begged the doctor to let me fly home to the UK so I could recover at home. I have not been right since and it is nearly 8 months later. I had to have another set of antibiotics, got a really bad cold within weeks, now I have another lung infection which luckily I have caught early and am on really strong antibiotics. Before all this I used to run 10K a week and never had problems with my lungs. My chest feels sore and tight all the time and gets worse at random times of the day. I still cough all the time and have 2 inhalers one powder based that I take twice a day and the other I take when I start to cough. I have been tested negative for asthma but the nurse said I ran out of breath really quickly and it didn't improve after using the inhaler. I am sorry for such a long story, I hope it helps someone out there.

Comment from: Porshe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Before double pneumonia I had the flu for a week, loss of appetite. On the 5th day I felt better to go to work only to find out I had shortness of breath. I went to the emergency room to find out I had pneumonia in both lungs. After having IVs of antibiotics I was released the 5th day with antibiotics for 12 days that on the 5th day of using left me with shortness of breath and increased heartbeat. I was referred to colloidal silver plus and three table spoons in one day had cleared up shortness of breath, but I continued it for a week. After two weeks with the pneumonia I am feeling like myself after using it. I urge you to use it and you will feel the difference in one day. I had to share because I feel good and returning to work after a 4 week bout with flu and then pneumonia.

Comment from: MJThompson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I've been ill with pneumonia for about a week and surprisingly, haven't felt short of breath yet. The pain started on my right side and spread across my chest. It hurt more when I inhaled. It hurt inside my body, not in my chest wall. After two days it became so painful as to be worrisome. Then I started a constant forceful dry cough, my fever went over 101 F and stayed there for days. My throat became very painful from coughing. Appetite was uneven. I became nauseated after too much activity. I became extremely hoarse after two days of coughing. There is very little nasal congestion or running. I am constantly weak. The doctor prescribed Zithromax, benzonatate for cough, and a fever reducer. Prior to taking benzonatate, I didn't have a sensation of chest congestion and my cough was dry. After starting benzonatate my cough became productive. Fever started to drop 48 hours after starting Zithromax. Six days after the pain started, I am not so weak and my chest is not painful, only sore. I still have lots of coughing and rattling, and I haven't got my voice back yet.

Comment from: chuck p. md, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

Don't let classic symptoms fool you. My only symptoms of pneumonia were not getting enough air, nausea, and chills. No cough, no headache no fever, etc. I was fine and went in for a total knee replacement (TKR). On the fourth day I was sent home. Within 12 hours I was fighting for my life in the emergency room. After 6 days in ICU I was home and lungs were clear. Diagnosis was pleural effusion, bacterial pneumonia, and acute respiratory failure. The cause was never determined. Heart, liver, kidneys all were well. I was not intubated during the TKR surgery.

Comment from: cindee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was just having bronchitis symtoms and feeling extra tired. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with bronchitis, treated with IV antibiotics and sent home with prescriptions. The next morning I was not coughing much but I feel more tired and had developed diarrhea and shortness of breath. My daughter took me to a different ER. On the way there I had temporary loss of my vision and on the way in to ER. I thought I had difficulty getting my breath. My blood pressure was 50/37 upon arrival. The diagnosis at this ER was at first bacterial pneumonia but later I was told it was sepsis and by the next morning, I was on a ventilator. I was told my kidneys were shutting down. I was on a vent for six days. What a nightmare. At only 46 years old with no previously diagnosed medical problems except arthritis and migrane headaches, even the doctors were perplexed. Swine flu and all immune defecit diseases were ruled out. Apparently I had allowed myself to get dehydrated and became anemic and did not go to the doctor right away because I had felt sicker in the past and had gotten better without help. After sixteen days in the hospital I am getting back to normal. Energy level is improving but not quite there and I seem to forget things more and present more scattered than before. Hopefully the neuro issues are related to the medications that were given to me to paralyze me and evenually I will be back to my old self. Being that close to death and having a six year old to raise is pretty scary. I thank God that I am here today.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?