Viewer Comments: Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumonia.

Comment from: cindee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was just having bronchitis symtoms and feeling extra tired. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with bronchitis, treated with IV antibiotics and sent home with prescriptions. The next morning I was not coughing much but I feel more tired and had developed diarrhea and shortness of breath. My daughter took me to a different ER. On the way there I had temporary loss of my vision and on the way in to ER. I thought I had difficulty getting my breath. My blood pressure was 50/37 upon arrival. The diagnosis at this ER was at first bacterial pneumonia but later I was told it was sepsis and by the next morning, I was on a ventilator. I was told my kidneys were shutting down. I was on a vent for six days. What a nightmare. At only 46 years old with no previously diagnosed medical problems except arthritis and migrane headaches, even the doctors were perplexed. Swine flu and all immune defecit diseases were ruled out. Apparently I had allowed myself to get dehydrated and became anemic and did not go to the doctor right away because I had felt sicker in the past and had gotten better without help. After sixteen days in the hospital I am getting back to normal. Energy level is improving but not quite there and I seem to forget things more and present more scattered than before. Hopefully the neuro issues are related to the medications that were given to me to paralyze me and evenually I will be back to my old self. Being that close to death and having a six year old to raise is pretty scary. I thank God that I am here today.

I had a severe chest pain one day at work with lightheadedness and tingling in fingers. I had had a bad cold about two weeks earlier, but it had cleared up. The pain lasted about 15 minutes then subsided. I went home, ate a normal supper, took a hot bath and went to bed. Within one hour I was chilling all over my body and became extremely nauseous. I had no clue what was wrong and just endured all of this with a fever. I did not have a thermometer, but knew I was very hot. In the early morning we went to a walk in clinic. They thought I might be having a heart attack, due to the fact I am 53, a woman, and had had the chest pain, and had really no sign of a cough or anything. After blood tests and x-rays, however, it was determined I had pneumonia. They gave me intravenous IV antibiotics in the hospital and then let me go home with another antibiotic prescription. I go back to doctor in two weeks.

Comment from: loggerswife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a dry tickle cough for two days. I tried OTC remedies and it didn't seem to get better. On the 3rd day I had a fever and felt weak. I went to the ER. They started an IV, drew blood , did an EKG because my pulse and BP were so high, did a Chest XR and I was told I had bacterial pneumonia. I went home on antibiotics, 7 days worth, cough syrup , Tessalon Pearls, Mucinex. Went in to see my regular doctor 5 days later and he continued the antibiotic for 3 more days. I have a second chest XR tomorrow. I hope it's on the mend, after 10 days I am still having a productive cough, though not as colored or as often. I can't sleep at night or lye flat down on the bed without coughing to death! That's a good thing! How scary. I missed one week of work and I am too weak to think about Christmas shopping or dinner. Maybe next year.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I thought I was getting a cold. I began taking Tylenol. By day eight I was having a fever, night sweats (terrible). I was working on a literature review paper for my masters class at the university. My paper came out very disoriented. (this is now a nightmare). I saw my doctor on the 10th day of my illness. I was given Levaquin for 10 days. After 10 days I was not getting better. I returned to my doctor. She sent me for a chest X-Ray. It showed that I had an infusion in my left lung that was synonymous with bacterial pneumonia. On return to my doctor, I was given 1 shot of Rocephalin, 1 shot of Solu-Medrol, Prednisone (Steroids), and Keflex (Antibiotic) for 7 days. This is day 21 since the onset of my illness, and day two of my second round of treatment. I am presenting a little better, (if you all can make sense out of this), but not much stronger in my body. I sleep a lot, thank God for that. Let's keep praying for each other.

Related Reading: Prednisone

Comment from: windchime, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was at work and experiencing chest pain and I had a bad headache so I went to a local clinic and they redirected me to the nearest hospital. The chest pain worsened and I had the chills I was shaking all over. When I finally saw the triage nurse she took me into an examining room and took all my vitals. I was immediately put on oxygen and IV fluids and put on a heart rate monitor. The pain was getting worse so I was given 2 doses of morphine a few hours apart and 2 sprays of nitro for the chest pain. I wasn't allowed to have any fluids. After about 9 hours I was given a chest x-ray and they took 2 vials of blood. An hour later I was diagnosed with pneumonia. 2 hours later I was given a prescription of antibiotics and sent home. The next day I picked up my prescription and after taking I had an allergic reaction and for 2 days I could not sleep. I called my pharmacist and I was told I needed to stop this medication and my regular medications because they were causing a reaction. I saw my family doctor and was put on a new antibiotic. I still have the chest pain and troublesleeping. I see the doctor in 2 weeks.Hopefully all will be okay.

Related Reading: morphine

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Pneumonia

Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Pneumonia:

Pneumonia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pneumonia?

Bacterial Pneumonia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial pneumonia?