Viewer Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: Joy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I used to get bacterial vaginosis and yeast infection every month and I was prescribed different kinds of medications...but nothing helped. I've found this cure for yeast infection called femina flora and the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis and yeast infection went away. Also I've been eating yogurt every day that contains Lactobacillus acidophilus that supposed to fight yeast infection. It's been a while since I've felt symptoms of bacterial vaginosis and yeast infection.

Comment from: Kelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My doctor finally got tired of giving me the same medicine over and over. She recommended boric acid caplets made by a compound pharmacy. I use one tablet each week and have not had a bacterial vaginosis flare up in 2 years.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I read most of your comments and feel as if you were writing about me. I can tell you that what finally "killed" my reoccurring BV was my gyno swabbed my uterus with betadine. It worked!!! I found too that if you are using "toys" and don't clean them with rubbing alcohol after each use that this will cause bacteria to grow when you use them again you infect yourself.

Comment from: JAS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a thirty eight year old mother of 5. I have had one sexual partner for over fourteen years and only had rare yeast infections whenever I'm pregnant. For the past year though I have had a new relationship, only to find out that I have an increase in vaginal discharge with a fishy scent. I have gone to about four different doctors each one prescribing something different. The last treatment is the metronidazole gel and flocozone tablets but after the treatment finishes the scent disappears but the discharge is still excessive. I feel so dirty and I am afraid to have sex. Frankly I'm embarrassed, my partner says I must not worry because he understands, but I feel as if my entire life is engulfed with this thing. Sometimes I think it is the stress that encourages this. I can rest assured that there are others like me it hurts to know that my life is torn up over something I cannot control. I do all that the doctors ask: eat the right foods and wear the right clothes!

Comment from: coolcat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I've had bouts of bacterial vaginosis over the years and the flare ups are usually the result of stress or emotional strain. However, it puts a strain on relationships as it makes you nervous about having sex! I've found that avoiding sugar REALLY helps with re-infection rates and as well as yogurt, I take an acidophilus capsule every day too. My system doesn't tolerate Flagyl but there are pessaries and gels that you can insert into the vagina that work too!

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Vaginosis

Vaginal Infections
Vaginal Infections Vaginal infections, or vaginitis, describe the most common medical concerns women have in the area of their reproductive organs. Vaginitis is an inflammation of...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial vaginosis?

bacterial Vaginosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.