Viewer Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bacterial vaginosis?

I'm 40 years old and never had bacterial vaginosis before this past year. Today I went to the doctor for the third time in nine months. He gave me prescriptionss for Metronidazole (Flagyl) ” both the cream and pills. He said I could take either one, they both work the same. He told me that for his patients that get a re-occurrence four to six times a year, he gives out a bunch of refills and for his patients that get it every month, he recommends taking a pill once a week just to keep a little of the antibiotic in your system. When I became infected with bacterial vaginosis the first time, I had been having sex with a new partner for five months. I wonder if this is only a coincidence. I'm still with the same (and only) partner. For me, I think stress is definitely my trigger. The first time was one week before my reconstructive knee surgery and the second and third times were immediately after a pretty nasty argument and breakup with said boyfriend. I chose to fill the prescription for the cream this time since I used the pills the last two times.

Comment from: JUST TIRED, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

UGHHH! BV again. This bv crap has really just torn me apart. I'm really funny about my downstairs area and it bothers me when things aren't peachy fresh but it's impossible to be fresh with bv popping up every minute. I have taken the medicine over and over again and I hate it because it gives me bad feelings like upset stomach and a metallic taste in my mouth but I take it because I want to be cured. Bv is also ruining my marriage because I can't figure why it keeps coming back and feel it may be my husband and he thinks I'm crazy and insecure with myself for always blaming him for cheating. I have been to 6 different doctors and no one can tell me why I keep developing this monster of an infection. Please help me someone has anyone found out yet why bv keep coming back. I'm miserable and depressed because I feel so nasty and I smell bad and can't imagine having sex with my husband smelling like I do. PLEASE HELP ME!!

A couple of years ago, I had reoccurring yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis infections. It seemed like the treatment for one was causing the other. Then one day, the symptoms just stopped and I was fine, or maybe I just got used to the symptoms. In either case, I didn't have any unusual discharge, irritation, or odor for about two years. Then, about two months after having sex with my new boyfriend, I got what I thought was another yeast infection and I used an over the counter, one day treatment for yeast infections. I forgot which brand, but buyer beware: It made the symptoms unbearably worse. After this I went to my gynecologist and was treated for the yeast infection. I was on my period then so she couldn't tell if I also had bacterial vaginosis. About a week later, I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. Then another yeast infection, and then bacterial vaginosis and more bacterial vaginosis. And now I can't remember the order, but suffice to say I was visiting my gynecologist every other week for a couple of months. She suggested my boyfriend also take Flagyl and that didn't work either. We even stopped having sex and that also didn't work. After a couple more diagnoses and treatments the bacterial vaginosis /yeast infection symptoms went away, and I was fine again for another couple of months, but now I am pretty sure I have bacterial vaginosis again. I've heard that ladies like me should stay away from: wet swimsuits, thongs, oral sex, vaginal sex, tampons, perfumed soaps, fabric softeners, tight pants, and the list goes on. I've tried avoiding these, and I still can't figure out the cause, but it is nice to know I'm not the only miserable one out there!

Comment from: smells like water, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been living with BV for over 2 years now. I've taken every medicine, cream, vitamin that you can think of and spent too much money doing so. The only thing that works for me is hydrogen peroxide and vinegar! This doesn't cure my bv, but it takes away the odor temporarily. I use a turkey baster : / fill the bulb with peroxide and use it like a douche. I squeeze a small amount of peroxide out at a time and then use it like a suction. You can actually see the bacteria go to the top. Disgusting. I know! But it works and then I started dipping a tampon in vinegar water and inserting it afterwards for a few hours. I'm no doctor but this is the ONLY thing that has worked for me and makes having sex with my Bf bearable. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Mr1967, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I get BV all the time and had HPV. I use rePhresh. It's 15.00 and worth every penny. It eliminated my HPV flare-ups and helps with my bacterial vaginosis.

For bacterial vaginosis, what has helped me is eating yogurt!

Comment from: BV, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 23 yrs of age I have no clue why BV keeps returning I have been to the doctor a million time and they cant find out why it keeps coming back. I have tried everything that they tell me to do to prevent it and nothing has worked. I usually get a BV infection at least 4 times a year. I really need help on how to resolve this problem. I'm so scared that I may have to live with this problem for the rest of my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Vaginosis

Vaginal Infections
Vaginal Infections Vaginal infections, or vaginitis, describe the most common medical concerns women have in the area of their reproductive organs. Vaginitis is an inflammation of...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial vaginosis?

bacterial Vaginosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.