Viewer Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: B, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I've had BV a few times, and after being on antibiotics several times and then dealing with yeast infections, I was told to try a medicated douche (with iodine) available over the counter. I use it twice and that has taken care of it every time since.

Comment from: LEM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

With my BV, I had pelvic pain, burning and irritation.

Comment from: Ifeelyourpain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have read your comments and for the first time in 6 years I am not alone. I unfortunately also have a UTI (urinary tract infection) accompanying my BV. The first one I had was when I started dating my first and only boyfriend since my divorce. It was months into the relationship and we were very active. I noticed the discharge slightly and a bit of an odor, which in my own stupidity, I figured it was because of being so active so I douched, and I douched and the symptoms worsened. I then brought an over the counter medicated douche and tried that. The symptoms were so severe I bled. I had no health insurance, worked two jobs, and was struggling terribly, so the thought of going to a doctor frightened me financially. However, I had no other choice. I too thought maybe it was associated with the relationship I was in. After seeing the doctor, basically I had burned the natural lining along with all the natural "good" bacteria in my vagina out. I was at the doctors every couple of weeks, and yes with the antibiotics also came a yeast infection. So treatment would be Flagyl along with a yeast prevention pill before and after treatment. I have suffered with the occurrence for many years, gradually it got better, but never has it completely gone away without recurring within a couple of months. Within the span of 12 months, I am treated at least 5 to six times. I did find that a natural remedy over-the-counter "Vaginal Health" pill has helped tremendously.

Comment from: claire, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Sex causes bv and condoms also cause bv It has nothing to do with an unfaithful partner or stress, some women are just susceptible maybe because of low immune systems and I didn't think it was a yeast infection as you often need antibiotics to cure it and they themselves can cause yeast infections such as thrush and Candida, if I get thrush I use plain yogurt inside the vagina and it cures my symptoms but I have tried the yogurt with bv and it does nothing.

Comment from: stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Bv is a terrible thing for women to get. It's so hard to get rid of and hard on your sex life because of the odor and discharge. I enjoy oral sex and I am so self conscience of my body I hate the symptoms bv causes. I don't want to have to worry about my partner smelling or yet alone possibly tasting this terrible discharge. I am currently on antibiotics for it, but I am like everyone else the minute you can relax and feel comfortable with your body again you end up with it again.

Must Read Articles Related to Bacterial Vaginosis

Vaginal Infections
Vaginal Infections Vaginal infections, or vaginitis, describe the most common medical concerns women have in the area of their reproductive organs. Vaginitis is an inflammation of...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis:

Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bacterial vaginosis?

bacterial Vaginosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.