Barium Swallow (cont.)
Arasi Thangavelu-Veluswamy, MD, FAAEM
During the Procedure
Do not hesitate to discuss with the technicians any questions or concerns you may have before, during, or after the barium swallow test.
- You will drink about 1 1/2 cups of a barium preparation-a chalky drink with the consistency (but not the flavor) of a milk shake. Children will drink less.
- The barium can be seen on an X-ray as it passes through the digestive tract.
- The barium swallow procedure may take about 30 minutes to finish. In certain cases, it may take up to 60 minutes to fill the stomach.
- You will be strapped securely on your back on a table that tilts forward. X-rays to examine your heart, lungs, and abdomen will be taken before you drink the barium. You then will be asked to swallow the barium mixture.
- X-rays will be taken again as the barium moves through the digestive system. You will be asked to take more swallows so more pictures can be taken.
- As the barium moves down your digestive system, the table will be tilted at various angles to help spread the barium for different views. Pressure may be applied to your abdomen to spread the barium. Finally, you will be placed horizontally, asked to take a few more swallows of barium, and
Must Read Articles Related to Barium Swallow
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis
Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the diverticula in the colon. This conditions is referred to as diverticulosis. Causes of Diverticulosis (diverticulitis) i...learn more >>
Dysphagia (Swallowing Problems)
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) has many causes. Dysphagia can be caused by diseases of the brain, diseases or conditions that affect muscle function, disease...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Barium Swallow: