Viewer Comments: Barium Swallow - Test Results

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Barium Swallow:

Barium Swallow - Test Results

What did the Barium Swallow test reveal?

Comment from: James, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I had the barium swallow with a small intestine follow through, I think at least 16 oz of the drink. I was fine for first and second day but on the third day I awoke with stomach cramps relieved with defecation but which returned when sitting. I have a mild form of diverticulitis. While my stools are returning to color the second day, I'm wondering if some of that chalk is trapped in my diverticula and will harden. I'm forcing plenty of water. I think this is why barium enemas have been replaced by colonoscopies.

Comment from: Jay, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The barium swallow was fine. The constipation and flatulence afterwards was painful and embarrassing. Finally it moved after 5 days and laxative. Solid stools that could not be flushed! Be warned.

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

The test revealed a hiatal hernia, but the worst part of the process was not being advised of the problems with constipation afterwards.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had the barium swallow test yesterday. It revealed a large hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I was already put on the waiting list for a fundoplication operation.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: December 27

I had a barium meal and swallow. The results came back revealing acid reflux, but I can't put my mind to rest. I worry about esophageal cancer.

Must Read Articles Related to Barium Swallow

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis)
Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis

Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the diverticula in the learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Barium Swallow:

Barium Swallow - Experience

Please describe your experience with barium swallow.

Barium Swallow - Complications

Did you experience any complications after your barium swallow test?