Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.

Comment from: ExtremelyScared, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I didn't notice anything until one day I had a very sharp sudden itch on the right side just inside my vagina. I made my way to the restroom, it would not relent. I placed a finger to scratch and instead felt a very large cyst. It was about 2 inches in diameter. I immediately went home to get a better look, and also to pack a bag for the emergency room. That freaked me out. I washed the area and my hands with antibacterial soap, I lay on my bed and palpitated the cyst to determine its qualities; size, shape, density, etc. About the time that I spread the skin out and figured out the size of it, I felt a sort of pop and a white, smelly pus like liquid drained down my leg. I continued to press on the cyst and as I did all the liquid drained out and the area went back to normal. I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist and was told that the Bartholin glands easily clog and that baths would help them stay clear. To this day years later, twice a week I take a short, hot bath if for no other reason than to make sure this never happens to me again. Gross and super scary.

Comment from: Payal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had 2 Bartholin's cysts on my left gland and twice had a marsupialization performed, still it tends to reoccur once or twice in a year. Now I am kind of used to it, hence I have accepted it as one of my parts. The best medicine is taking Citralka, it can be also taken during pregnancy. I started draining within 24 hours. So for all those for immediate results it is a must.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had a Bartholin cyst 4 or 5 times now and this time was the worst. I used witch hazel astringent soaked on a large cotton ball kept on the cyst overnight, and applied pressure to the cyst several times a day. The cyst popped in a couple of days and started draining. This is what I will do whenever I get these cysts.

Comment from: Tiff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had a Bartholin cyst twice now and the first time was ridiculously painful and I couldn't move for 3 days and it was the size of a lemon. When it happened the second time it didn't hurt at all but I just didn't want it there so I took matters into my own hands. I got a fresh cloth and soaked the cloth in hot salt water for about 5 minutes then applied it to the cyst for about 20 minutes making sure the cloth was still wet and warm. When I stopped doing this after a few minutes the cyst started to sting a little and tingle. Within an hour or so it burst and I didn't even feel it. I just drained the fluid out until blood came and it's gone. I'm still going to talk to my doctor about getting it removed for good.

Comment from: Abby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had a Bartholin cyst and what immediately worked for me was doing a hot shallow bath with Dettol and bath salts and I massaged the cyst that was the size of a small grape. It really hurt but by the end of the bath it had flattened a bit but didn't pop so after the bath I wiped with witch hazel and here's what I think helped. I put a table spoon of coconut oil to the area and went to bed and when I wiped the next time I went to the bathroom it popped with two hard beads that came out along with pus. I'm guessing the two beads must have been hardened pus causing the blockage. I swear by coconut oil!

Comment from: UKpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My Bartholin cyst appeared very suddenly and rapidly reached the size of a golf ball. I had marsupialization 10 days ago which provided immediate relief. All seemed to be okay for a few days, but now the swelling has increased again, along with the pain. I have revisited hospital twice and been told to keep taking pain relief. I am very worried that the original abscess might be refilling.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I just had my first Bartholin gland episode inclusive of an abscess. It was the worst nightmare and pain I have ever experienced. Please do not wait for it to become an abscess. Get help as soon as possible. Please do the Word catheter and get it drained early on. It was as painful as a vaginal delivery. Getting it drained in the doctor's office with only Novacaine spray was so painful that I cannot express it! I just hope I do not ever have to go through this again!

Comment from: Jay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am not so sure but some of these cysts that have been described sound more like boils. I have had both; neither is pleasant. The more I research and learn, the more I realize that Bartholin cyst may be related to a thyroid or an adrenal hormone imbalance problem coupled with (at least in my case) dryness due to menopause. I am looking for a specific herbal remedy to terminate blood flow to these disgusting things. In other words, turn them off from the inside out! I have heard that black walnut hulls hold this potential.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?