Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.

Comment from: Payal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had 2 Bartholin's cysts on my left gland and twice had a marsupialization performed, still it tends to reoccur once or twice in a year. Now I am kind of used to it, hence I have accepted it as one of my parts. The best medicine is taking Citralka, it can be also taken during pregnancy. I started draining within 24 hours. So for all those for immediate results it is a must.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had a Bartholin cyst 4 or 5 times now and this time was the worst. I used witch hazel astringent soaked on a large cotton ball kept on the cyst overnight, and applied pressure to the cyst several times a day. The cyst popped in a couple of days and started draining. This is what I will do whenever I get these cysts.

Comment from: Tiff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had a Bartholin cyst twice now and the first time was ridiculously painful and I couldn't move for 3 days and it was the size of a lemon. When it happened the second time it didn't hurt at all but I just didn't want it there so I took matters into my own hands. I got a fresh cloth and soaked the cloth in hot salt water for about 5 minutes then applied it to the cyst for about 20 minutes making sure the cloth was still wet and warm. When I stopped doing this after a few minutes the cyst started to sting a little and tingle. Within an hour or so it burst and I didn't even feel it. I just drained the fluid out until blood came and it's gone. I'm still going to talk to my doctor about getting it removed for good.

Comment from: Abby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had a Bartholin cyst and what immediately worked for me was doing a hot shallow bath with Dettol and bath salts and I massaged the cyst that was the size of a small grape. It really hurt but by the end of the bath it had flattened a bit but didn't pop so after the bath I wiped with witch hazel and here's what I think helped. I put a table spoon of coconut oil to the area and went to bed and when I wiped the next time I went to the bathroom it popped with two hard beads that came out along with pus. I'm guessing the two beads must have been hardened pus causing the blockage. I swear by coconut oil!

Comment from: UKpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My Bartholin cyst appeared very suddenly and rapidly reached the size of a golf ball. I had marsupialization 10 days ago which provided immediate relief. All seemed to be okay for a few days, but now the swelling has increased again, along with the pain. I have revisited hospital twice and been told to keep taking pain relief. I am very worried that the original abscess might be refilling.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I just had my first Bartholin gland episode inclusive of an abscess. It was the worst nightmare and pain I have ever experienced. Please do not wait for it to become an abscess. Get help as soon as possible. Please do the Word catheter and get it drained early on. It was as painful as a vaginal delivery. Getting it drained in the doctor's office with only Novacaine spray was so painful that I cannot express it! I just hope I do not ever have to go through this again!

Comment from: curiousgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am not sure if I do have a Bartholin cyst or not. I have been fighting with itching and swollen labia for some time now. It is red and I have been to the gynecologist but she took one look and didn't know what to think. She tested me for herpes which was negative and then told me I needed to see my dermatologist. Maybe they would have an answer.

Comment from: starz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I used one of these hot towel with a very small amount of sea salt for Bartholin cyst. Keep dipping the towel every time it gets cold and repeat. The cyst popped in my sleep. Hope this helps.

Comment from: IFeel UrPain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got my first Bartholin cyst when I was 23, and I've had five in the past three years. They are very painful. I just woke up the other day with a lump where it always is, but this time I made sure to take a sitz bath immediately, plus I took some antibiotics the doctor gave me from last time. After three miserable days of it getting bigger and worse, the best thing happened. It drained itself!! It was gross, but I felt instant relief.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?