Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.

Comment from: cristalle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I had a Bartholin's abscess drained 3 weeks ago. It was very painful before the surgery but I felt the relief immediately after. I regret not getting it done as soon as the pain started because within a few days it was so difficult and painful to even walk. After the surgery I had a lot of pain in my legs, buttocks and back. The doc informed me that it was just because the cyst was so big she had to cut deep. I am glad to say that i feel just fine now. I am still scared of a recurrence so I am very particular about hygiene (more than before) and I do a Sitz bath often...just to make sure.

Comment from: Dutchie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I just had my first Bartholin Cyst drained by GYN doctor after suffering with severe pain for three days. It was an enormous relief. I have no more pain and so far haven't needed any pain meds. I also received antibiotics to be taken until gone.

Comment from: iggysmall, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I just had my second Bartholin cyst removed. I ended up going to the ER after a doctor told me to go home and wait for it to pop. It got so painful I couldn't take it. I got it drained and got instant pain relief!

Comment from: Ali, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had a bartholin cyst drained twice in my OB/GYN office. It was not sore at all, and with a course of antibiotics, it cleared right up. The third time it reappeared, my doctor gave me antibiotics and scheduled me for surgery the next day. I had a general anesthetic. I was back at home that night armed with Voltaren suppositories and ibuprofen, 600 mg which I took three times a day, plus antibiotics. I also used an ice pack for four or five days to help reduce the swelling.

Comment from: irish_rose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have just experienced a cyst for the first and hopefully last time. It started out feeling like an irritation. Within a couple days it started to swell and became increasingly painful. I had no idea what it was so was trying different things to get the swelling down but of course nothing worked. I finally decided I couldn't take the horrendous pain so went to the ER where it was lanced. Just the draining was a huge relief. I am seriously hoping it never happens again. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone.

Comment from: VRG, Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I just underwent a bartholin cyst drainage and it was extremely painful! I only received local anesthesia and every aspect of the procedure was horrible! A catheter had to be used and its just awkwardly sticking out. I really hate this experience.

Comment from: Reta, 55-64 Female Published: July 12

I've had one of these abscesses about 20 years ago, and I have one now. What I learned from my first one was to take at least six sitz baths a day, using the warmest water I could tolerate, and add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts to help draw the absess so it will open and drain more easily. I also use warm water enemas to clean my colon as this area carries a lot of bacteria associated with bartholin cysts. I also use pampers sensitive wet wipes to wipe up after each bath, and I'm careful how I wipe up after the enemas or bowel movements. Keeping it as clean as you can really help it heal faster. And Yes' they are painful!

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?