Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

Comment from: Vanessa C., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had four Bartholin cysts in the past five years. With my first, one I had no idea what it was and when it was in the early stages I just popped it thinking it was an ingrown hair or something. The next time it grew so fast, I couldn't walk, sit, lay down or use the bathroom! I went to my doctor who sent me to the OB/GYN who lanced it. At the same time, I got instant relief.

Comment from: ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I am a cyclist and started to develop these two years ago. The pain is horrible and makes it hard to do anything. After speaking with several girlfriends that had the same thing I am planning to have the entire gland removed. Both of my girlfriends had the gland removed and have never had issues again. Mine are recurring and I am just tired of dealing with the pain!

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a Bartholin's cyst for probably 20 years after four vaginal births. It hurt all the time and I always felt like I was sitting on a golf ball. I finally saw a gynecologist last week and had it lanced, and I feel so much better.

Comment from: The Elder, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just had my first cyst. It started months ago and looked like a white pimple. Eventually it seemed to grow a little tail, inward. A week ago it erupted. At first it just hurt and within a few days it was a hard, very sore lump about two inches by one inch, deep in the labia. It got redder, harder and sorer by the day. Then I found this site and figured out what it was. I didn't want to be burdened by a sitz bath so just put a garbage bag on the bed and applied a hot wet washcloth. I put tin foil over the top to help keep the heat in. I also used a green tea bag since I read about that. My guess is just the hot wash cloth does the work. At least I finally had some relief. I'm hoping I won't have to go to a doctor.

Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was discharged from the hospital today with a Bartholin cyst. When I went to the ER five days ago, it was the size and shape of a 6 inch popsicle, and the pain was worse than child birth! REALLY! I was on two kinds of IV antibiotics and pain meds. My husband was killed in a car accident less than a month ago, and have to wonder if this is his way of keeping "other boys" away?!? Thanks Buddy!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I'm 19 years old and this is my third cyst within 8 months. The pain is the worst thing I ever felt. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. Tomorrow I'm going to be put to sleep, so they can get it all out this time. The first time I didn't know what it was. It felt funny and my first thought was a yeast infection. I started treating it as such but then it started swelling. Not knowing what it was, I waited a few days. By that time it was the size of a golf ball and I had flu like symptoms including a fever of 104. I went to a regular doctor who then sent me to my ob/gyn and the draining was very painful. I cried even. The second time they did the same thing with an in office draining. Now, not even two months with my third one and this one is bigger and more painful than the first. I can't even walk. Tomorrow I'm having the draining done but they're putting me to sleep, so hopefully they can get all of the infection out and I won't have to go through this ever again. Mine never pop on their own. I wish the baths worked for me.

This is the first time I have experienced a Bartholin cyst. I thought I had at first a staph infection. I could not walk and I had to go to my OB/GYN to have it removed. Within five minutes I felt relief.

Comment from: berta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm 43 and have been suffering from these since I was 14. At that age I was too embarrassed to tell a doctor. Over the last few years though, it's gotten worse and I've ended up in the ER because of how bad the swelling and pain were. After visit with my doctor I found out you can have the gland removed.

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am on my fourth one and it just drained. It is amazing how something so small can be so painful! I was hoping to find a cure but it looks like I'm doing the right thing by soaking in a bath.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.