Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

...

This is the first time I have experienced a Bartholin cyst. I thought I had at first a staph infection. I could not walk and I had to go to my OB/GYN to have it removed. Within five minutes I felt relief.

Comment from: berta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm 43 and have been suffering from these since I was 14. At that age I was too embarrassed to tell a doctor. Over the last few years though, it's gotten worse and I've ended up in the ER because of how bad the swelling and pain were. After visit with my doctor I found out you can have the gland removed.

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am on my fourth one and it just drained. It is amazing how something so small can be so painful! I was hoping to find a cure but it looks like I'm doing the right thing by soaking in a bath.

Comment from: ga, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I just had a Bartholin cyst removed and it was the size of a walnut. It was full of puss, but when it was lanced, I had no pain at all.

Comment from: inpain, 45-54 Female Published: February 21

I have a Bartholin cyst that started out very painful. It was the size of a large pea, then it burst. Pus and blood came out, and then after squeezing it for a couple of days, it was gone. Now, it is the size of a half of an egg.

Comment from: ihaveacyst, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I'm 29, don't have health insurance and I currently have a Bartholin cyst, for the first time. I had to do some research online to figure out what it was. It started a week ago as some mild pain, then a lump the size of a pea developed and then it got slightly larger and painful. I started soaking in a hot bath for 15 min, four times a day and the heat caused the cyst to develop a whitehead that I drained. After draining, yellowish pus immediately started pouring out, with a foul odor, but the pain immediately went away. I have had to squeeze it slightly and continue the baths to help with draining, but it feels better already.

Comment from: phoenix29, 35-44 Female Published: January 23

I have been dealing with these cysts for over 20 years now. The first one was golf-ball sized and popped on its own. After a few months it returned and I was on vacation and once again swelled to the size of a golf ball. I had it drained and catheterized and finally had to have marsupialization. Now it is back with a vengeance- drained once and it's swelling up again. The sitz baths provide relief, but don't always make them pop. I'm afraid I'm going to have to have marsupialization again.

Comment from: Bedonewiththis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

A very unfortunate recurrence has led me to hope that marsupialization might be the answer. I've had same one lanced four times! Then I tried a catheter which prevented any more swelling. Three years later was not expecting to go through the pain again! I've taken antibiotics and pain killers, which helps. Baths can do a lot for relief. I'm looking for a permanent solution!

Comment from: cystcystgoaway, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I experienced my first Bartholin cyst at 25, and at 32 I've endured about 7 or 8 more. In fact I have one now. I had it drained a week ago, but it's starting to refill. The doctor ran a culture on the fluid (blood) and it came back negative for any type of bacterial infection. Nevertheless, I'm completing the antibiotic prescription as instructed.

Comment from: floridawoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a bartholin cyst when I was in my 20's and had to have that one cyst lanced 4 times. It went away and 20+ years later I have another one which is now the size of a lime. I have no health insurance and not knowing when it came up two years ago that I could sit in a hot bath, I am now wondering if that would work. I've read a lot of comments here about pain, I don't have the pain, what I have is the discomfort of it's size. I will be trying the hot bath and pray that it works.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I asked the doctor to remove this small bump I noticed on my labia. She said it was more trouble than it was worth, so five years go by and there is no change in bump. Then in a week's time it changed into a grape size lump. I looked it up on the net and tried the Sitz bath. In a week it literally popped like a pimple. I helped it drain and then it disappeared in two days. Now it's flat again.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.