Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

Comment from: floridawoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a bartholin cyst when I was in my 20's and had to have that one cyst lanced 4 times. It went away and 20+ years later I have another one which is now the size of a lime. I have no health insurance and not knowing when it came up two years ago that I could sit in a hot bath, I am now wondering if that would work. I've read a lot of comments here about pain, I don't have the pain, what I have is the discomfort of it's size. I will be trying the hot bath and pray that it works.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I asked the doctor to remove this small bump I noticed on my labia. She said it was more trouble than it was worth, so five years go by and there is no change in bump. Then in a week's time it changed into a grape size lump. I looked it up on the net and tried the Sitz bath. In a week it literally popped like a pimple. I helped it drain and then it disappeared in two days. Now it's flat again.

Comment from: Anonymous Senior, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am only 17 years old and I have my second cyst RIGHT NOW! The first one was only 10 months ago. I had woken up and realized that I was in excruciating pain. I had no idea what it was so for about 4 days I still went to school, but I was excused from gym. I felt so uncomfortable with people staring at me. Whenever someone asked what was wrong I told them that I fell off a skate board and hurt my tail bone! I finally gave up and went to Sister's Hospital to get it drained (no anesthetic). That was the worst, but I definitely felt relief afterward. Today I am going to the ER because my GYN can't see me until November. Hopefully this never comes back again. I wish that I could be as brave as these other women and soak it until it pops itself but I just can't live to miss another day of my senior year in high school! Please wish me luck!

Comment from: solange, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am now 57-had an infected Bartholin cyst about 35 years ago. It was of course extremely painful but appeared to open and drain after soaking in hot baths. It drained about one day after this (which was not pleasant, but it brought relief.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been suffering with these cysts for past four years and I have my fifth one right now as we speak. My first cyst was a nightmare because I had no idea what it was. The pain was unbearable and it was the size of a golf ball. I had it lanced and felt immediate relief. The ones after that, I learned that by doing the Sitz bath it would help it pop on its own. This time around I immediately started washing it with antibacterial soap and luckily it is not as painful. I'm hoping it'll pop soon. I do know that I'm no longer sleeping with underwear. I have a feeling that it's not letting it breathe down there.

Comment from: Lisa D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

After the pain of my Bartholin cyst nearly drove me nuts I made an appointment for my GYN to surgically remove the thing the next morning. That night I came home and instead of just sitting in a real hot bath I put my feet together and knees spread wide and I swished that hot water inside and around and I massaged it from front to back side to side and all around. I was in the tub for 30 minutes to an hour, and no kidding, I had sudden relief. If you have a cyst like this, I say give the tub a try.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 30

I had one of these cysts about 25 years ago. It was absolutely the worse pain I have ever had. Worse than giving birth. Mine was about the size of an egg maybe bigger. I had to have surgery and when I came home from the hospital I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs for two weeks. I haven't had another one since and hope I never have to go through that again. I really feel for all the women who have to go through this.

Comment from: Hurting48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I just had a Bartholin's cyst drained, and pain isn't the word for it! I had never even heard of this so I suffered for about five days with the cyst getting larger each day! Finally I couldn't take it anymore and got an appointment with an OB/GYN. They lanced it and drained it and inserted a catheter which stays in for seven days. They gave me antibiotics, but nothing for the pain.

Comment from: Tired of Bart, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had recurring cysts for a few years and always have treated them with the sitz bath option and this has worked until this year. I have tried everything, the salt baths, warm cloth with pressure, antibiotics twice, and drainage with gauze. It is terrible to have such a simple thing effect your life. I am totally unsure what to do next.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.