Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

Comment from: ga, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I just had a Bartholin cyst removed and it was the size of a walnut. It was full of puss, but when it was lanced, I had no pain at all.

Comment from: inpain, 45-54 Female Published: February 21

I have a Bartholin cyst that started out very painful. It was the size of a large pea, then it burst. Pus and blood came out, and then after squeezing it for a couple of days, it was gone. Now, it is the size of a half of an egg.

Comment from: ihaveacyst, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I'm 29, don't have health insurance and I currently have a Bartholin cyst, for the first time. I had to do some research online to figure out what it was. It started a week ago as some mild pain, then a lump the size of a pea developed and then it got slightly larger and painful. I started soaking in a hot bath for 15 min, four times a day and the heat caused the cyst to develop a whitehead that I drained. After draining, yellowish pus immediately started pouring out, with a foul odor, but the pain immediately went away. I have had to squeeze it slightly and continue the baths to help with draining, but it feels better already.

Comment from: phoenix29, 35-44 Female Published: January 23

I have been dealing with these cysts for over 20 years now. The first one was golf-ball sized and popped on its own. After a few months it returned and I was on vacation and once again swelled to the size of a golf ball. I had it drained and catheterized and finally had to have marsupialization. Now it is back with a vengeance- drained once and it's swelling up again. The sitz baths provide relief, but don't always make them pop. I'm afraid I'm going to have to have marsupialization again.

Comment from: Bedonewiththis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

A very unfortunate recurrence has led me to hope that marsupialization might be the answer. I've had same one lanced four times! Then I tried a catheter which prevented any more swelling. Three years later was not expecting to go through the pain again! I've taken antibiotics and pain killers, which helps. Baths can do a lot for relief. I'm looking for a permanent solution!

Comment from: cystcystgoaway, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I experienced my first Bartholin cyst at 25, and at 32 I've endured about 7 or 8 more. In fact I have one now. I had it drained a week ago, but it's starting to refill. The doctor ran a culture on the fluid (blood) and it came back negative for any type of bacterial infection. Nevertheless, I'm completing the antibiotic prescription as instructed.

Comment from: floridawoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a bartholin cyst when I was in my 20's and had to have that one cyst lanced 4 times. It went away and 20+ years later I have another one which is now the size of a lime. I have no health insurance and not knowing when it came up two years ago that I could sit in a hot bath, I am now wondering if that would work. I've read a lot of comments here about pain, I don't have the pain, what I have is the discomfort of it's size. I will be trying the hot bath and pray that it works.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I asked the doctor to remove this small bump I noticed on my labia. She said it was more trouble than it was worth, so five years go by and there is no change in bump. Then in a week's time it changed into a grape size lump. I looked it up on the net and tried the Sitz bath. In a week it literally popped like a pimple. I helped it drain and then it disappeared in two days. Now it's flat again.

Comment from: Anonymous Senior, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am only 17 years old and I have my second cyst RIGHT NOW! The first one was only 10 months ago. I had woken up and realized that I was in excruciating pain. I had no idea what it was so for about 4 days I still went to school, but I was excused from gym. I felt so uncomfortable with people staring at me. Whenever someone asked what was wrong I told them that I fell off a skate board and hurt my tail bone! I finally gave up and went to Sister's Hospital to get it drained (no anesthetic). That was the worst, but I definitely felt relief afterward. Today I am going to the ER because my GYN can't see me until November. Hopefully this never comes back again. I wish that I could be as brave as these other women and soak it until it pops itself but I just can't live to miss another day of my senior year in high school! Please wish me luck!

Comment from: solange, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am now 57-had an infected Bartholin cyst about 35 years ago. It was of course extremely painful but appeared to open and drain after soaking in hot baths. It drained about one day after this (which was not pleasant, but it brought relief.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.