Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been suffering with these cysts for past four years and I have my fifth one right now as we speak. My first cyst was a nightmare because I had no idea what it was. The pain was unbearable and it was the size of a golf ball. I had it lanced and felt immediate relief. The ones after that, I learned that by doing the Sitz bath it would help it pop on its own. This time around I immediately started washing it with antibacterial soap and luckily it is not as painful. I'm hoping it'll pop soon. I do know that I'm no longer sleeping with underwear. I have a feeling that it's not letting it breathe down there.

Comment from: Lisa D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

After the pain of my Bartholin cyst nearly drove me nuts I made an appointment for my GYN to surgically remove the thing the next morning. That night I came home and instead of just sitting in a real hot bath I put my feet together and knees spread wide and I swished that hot water inside and around and I massaged it from front to back side to side and all around. I was in the tub for 30 minutes to an hour, and no kidding, I had sudden relief. If you have a cyst like this, I say give the tub a try.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 30

I had one of these cysts about 25 years ago. It was absolutely the worse pain I have ever had. Worse than giving birth. Mine was about the size of an egg maybe bigger. I had to have surgery and when I came home from the hospital I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs for two weeks. I haven't had another one since and hope I never have to go through that again. I really feel for all the women who have to go through this.

Comment from: Hurting48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I just had a Bartholin's cyst drained, and pain isn't the word for it! I had never even heard of this so I suffered for about five days with the cyst getting larger each day! Finally I couldn't take it anymore and got an appointment with an OB/GYN. They lanced it and drained it and inserted a catheter which stays in for seven days. They gave me antibiotics, but nothing for the pain.

Comment from: Tired of Bart, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had recurring cysts for a few years and always have treated them with the sitz bath option and this has worked until this year. I have tried everything, the salt baths, warm cloth with pressure, antibiotics twice, and drainage with gauze. It is terrible to have such a simple thing effect your life. I am totally unsure what to do next.

Comment from: Meg40989, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I just got home from the emergency room. They numbed me gave me an incision and squeezed it all out! Stuffed some dressing in there and sent me on my way. It was all done within an hour!

Comment from: Anonymus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I get these occasionally and just treat them like a zit, and they always come to the surface if tended to properly. Try Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment which soothes, heals, and draws the abscess out. Just dowse them with the ointment upon waking and before bed. Don't even try to force it out, just wait until it is ready, you can tell when there is a teeny bit of blood on the tissue. Get well-behind the cyst and squeeze gently, the cyst will come out. Flush with water. I do not re-apply the ointment, as I want the wound to "air-dry". It's not nearly as scary as the article makes it!

Comment from: Kathy R, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My Bartholin cysts are caused by clothing (usually underwear) constricting the normal flow in my labium. It most often happens during the night when the constriction has a long duration. I normally make sure my underwear is not tight across or near my labium. One night last week I did not check and sure enough I woke up with a very large cyst. Lesson learned - no more underwear in bed. I have been treating it with warm Epsom salt compresses to the area. I am 54 years old and have probably had 5 of these over my lifetime. Each time I have one I am very careful not to cause a recurrence, but unfortunately it does happen. They can be quite painful to deal with and sometimes become infected and cause a fever.

Comment from: ladybug2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had 2 within one month -- one on each side. The first one grew to the size of a lime in 4 days. I took a sitz bath and applied heat to the area and it finally "popped" on its own. It was extremely painful until then and I felt immediate comfort after it "popped". I did not want to experience the same pain again, so as soon as I felt the second one coming on I folded about 4 squares of toilet paper into a small square and drenched it in witch hazel. I applied it to the swollen area and changed it every 2 hours. Within about 8 hours the very mall cyst "popped" on its own. There was no pain whatsoever and it is completely gone. My guess is that the witch hazel drew it out. I hope this helps.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.