Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

Comment from: Kathy R, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My Bartholin cysts are caused by clothing (usually underwear) constricting the normal flow in my labium. It most often happens during the night when the constriction has a long duration. I normally make sure my underwear is not tight across or near my labium. One night last week I did not check and sure enough I woke up with a very large cyst. Lesson learned - no more underwear in bed. I have been treating it with warm Epsom salt compresses to the area. I am 54 years old and have probably had 5 of these over my lifetime. Each time I have one I am very careful not to cause a recurrence, but unfortunately it does happen. They can be quite painful to deal with and sometimes become infected and cause a fever.

Comment from: ladybug2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had 2 within one month -- one on each side. The first one grew to the size of a lime in 4 days. I took a sitz bath and applied heat to the area and it finally "popped" on its own. It was extremely painful until then and I felt immediate comfort after it "popped". I did not want to experience the same pain again, so as soon as I felt the second one coming on I folded about 4 squares of toilet paper into a small square and drenched it in witch hazel. I applied it to the swollen area and changed it every 2 hours. Within about 8 hours the very mall cyst "popped" on its own. There was no pain whatsoever and it is completely gone. My guess is that the witch hazel drew it out. I hope this helps.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have had this ongoing problem with a Bartholin cyst. It started about 15 years ago. It was as big as an egg. My GYN suggested a catheter for 14 days and so it was done. Didn't see the cyst for about ten years and then there it was again. Pain isn't the word for it but it lanced itself and relief! But, I have had it checked since then and they can't do anything more with it!

Comment from: viv, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had 3 Bartholin's cysts on my left gland and twice had a marsupialization performed. The first one was 18months ago and the next one 3 months ago. I now have another one which is not reacting to antibiotics. So I am not sure why the marsupializations are not working to prevent recurrence of the cysts.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I developed a large lump in a matter of hours. My gynecologist drained it in the office today after five days of wondering what it was. I am now extremely uncomfortable. No pain medicine given but I was prescribed an antibiotic as I was also having flu-like symptoms. I would like to hear about the recovery period and the recurrence rate.

Comment from: Bubbette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had a number of Bartholin cysts, lanced at least 3 times, marsupulated twice, and finally surgically removed. I had this done 30+ years ago. Recently a very large, painful, swollen cyst appeared in the same area which I applied hot compresses and was able to drain most of the fluids. This relieved so much pressure and brought the size from a golf ball to the size of a marble.

Comment from: Need help now, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Where to begin? I have been suffering from the Bartholin cyst for 20 years now. Needless to say I would not wish the pain of this abscess on anyone! It only drained on its own once and that was the first time it occurred. Since then I go to the GYN to have it drained primarily because the pain waiting for it to drain is excruciating. More so than having it drained. Either way it is so incredibly and ridiculously uncomfortable to add to the pain. Sitting, lying down, walking or even functioning in a normal capacity is virtually impossible. I ask I plead and beg help! I can't live with this anymore. Willing to try most anything to make it go away and never return. I actually have one now trying to find an alternative to draining it. It keeps coming back!

Comment from: heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had a Bartholin cyst a year ago, maybe the size of a walnut. I actually boiled a pin head and popped it myself because I couldn't take it anymore. I drained blood and fluid eventually within a week or so it disappeared. The second one is here now. I did the pin again, but only got a bit of blood and fluid, although this one is still small. I will be calling my doctor in the morning to look at it and discuss treatments and antibiotics. Hopefully the doctor will drain better and insert a catheter.

Comment from: Bel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was diagnosed with this Bartholin cyst. It's not painful at all. I'm doing this sitting on a warm water remedy at home and I guess it is helping because I notice that the size is getting smaller. I'm just wondering, because since I got this I don't allow my husband to touch me or let's just say it, were not having sex anymore since I got this. I'm just wondering if it's ok to do it. Thank you so much.

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.