Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

Comment from: Kathy R, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My Bartholin cysts are caused by clothing (usually underwear) constricting the normal flow in my labium. It most often happens during the night when the constriction has a long duration. I normally make sure my underwear is not tight across or near my labium. One night last week I did not check and sure enough I woke up with a very large cyst. Lesson learned - no more underwear in bed. I have been treating it with warm Epsom salt compresses to the area. I am 54 years old and have probably had 5 of these over my lifetime. Each time I have one I am very careful not to cause a recurrence, but unfortunately it does happen. They can be quite painful to deal with and sometimes become infected and cause a fever.

Comment from: ladybug2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had 2 within one month -- one on each side. The first one grew to the size of a lime in 4 days. I took a sitz bath and applied heat to the area and it finally "popped" on its own. It was extremely painful until then and I felt immediate comfort after it "popped". I did not want to experience the same pain again, so as soon as I felt the second one coming on I folded about 4 squares of toilet paper into a small square and drenched it in witch hazel. I applied it to the swollen area and changed it every 2 hours. Within about 8 hours the very mall cyst "popped" on its own. There was no pain whatsoever and it is completely gone. My guess is that the witch hazel drew it out. I hope this helps.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have had this ongoing problem with a Bartholin cyst. It started about 15 years ago. It was as big as an egg. My GYN suggested a catheter for 14 days and so it was done. Didn't see the cyst for about ten years and then there it was again. Pain isn't the word for it but it lanced itself and relief! But, I have had it checked since then and they can't do anything more with it!

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.