Viewer Comments: Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

...
Comment from: Criss, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I get these Bartholin cysts often. My Dr. said I'm more prone because I'm diabetic which also causes yeast infections more often. After using hot compresses for a few days, just wiping sometimes will pop it. I was told to make sure to continue to squeeze the blood out, to rinse out the infection, so to speak. I follow with antibiotic ointment and never have had complications. The pain is relieved immediately after it's drained completely. Sometimes I have to squeeze it more than once to make sure it's completely drained. My Dr. says to come in if it gets worse or if the swelling remains after draining it.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I have had these cysts 5 or 6 times over the past 20 years. Unfortunately, three of those times were while on vacation, so had to find a doctor rather than seeing my regular doctor. I've had them lanced, I've taken antibiotics and I've had fever. Mine get large rapidly and I have found that lancing is usually only effective if I've had the cyst for several days. Antibiotics and sitz baths or hot compresses seem to work, but over a period of about a week, so there is pain and discomfort in the meantime. I have found that Tylenol helps with the pain.

Comment from: Mac, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I recently developed a cyst. It went from the size of a pea to the size of a golf ball overnight and the pain was excruciating! I went to the OB/GYN and she was as confused as I was, and said she couldn't do anything until it abscessed. So I took antibiotics and went back when the pain got worse. So I'm home now with Lortab hoping it pops soon. I tried Goldenseal (from the health food store) and within three hours of taking it, a white head appeared on the surface. So maybe this is a good "treatment."

Related Reading: Goldenseal

Comment from: Vanessa C., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had four Bartholin cysts in the past five years. With my first, one I had no idea what it was and when it was in the early stages I just popped it thinking it was an ingrown hair or something. The next time it grew so fast, I couldn't walk, sit, lay down or use the bathroom! I went to my doctor who sent me to the OB/GYN who lanced it. At the same time, I got instant relief.

Comment from: ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I am a cyclist and started to develop these two years ago. The pain is horrible and makes it hard to do anything. After speaking with several girlfriends that had the same thing I am planning to have the entire gland removed. Both of my girlfriends had the gland removed and have never had issues again. Mine are recurring and I am just tired of dealing with the pain!

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a Bartholin's cyst for probably 20 years after four vaginal births. It hurt all the time and I always felt like I was sitting on a golf ball. I finally saw a gynecologist last week and had it lanced, and I feel so much better.

Comment from: The Elder, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just had my first cyst. It started months ago and looked like a white pimple. Eventually it seemed to grow a little tail, inward. A week ago it erupted. At first it just hurt and within a few days it was a hard, very sore lump about two inches by one inch, deep in the labia. It got redder, harder and sorer by the day. Then I found this site and figured out what it was. I didn't want to be burdened by a sitz bath so just put a garbage bag on the bed and applied a hot wet washcloth. I put tin foil over the top to help keep the heat in. I also used a green tea bag since I read about that. My guess is just the hot wash cloth does the work. At least I finally had some relief. I'm hoping I won't have to go to a doctor.

Related Reading: green tea

Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was discharged from the hospital today with a Bartholin cyst. When I went to the ER five days ago, it was the size and shape of a 6 inch popsicle, and the pain was worse than child birth! REALLY! I was on two kinds of IV antibiotics and pain meds. My husband was killed in a car accident less than a month ago, and have to wonder if this is his way of keeping "other boys" away?!? Thanks Buddy!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Bartholin Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst:

Bartholin Cyst - Experience

Please describe your experience with Bartholin cyst.

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.