Font Size

Battery Ingestion (cont.)

Battery Ingestion Causes

  • Disk battery ingestion most commonly occurs in children younger than 5 years of age and in elderly people.
  • Common scenarios of ingestion involve young children swallowing their own hearing aid battery or eating batteries lying loose after they were removed from a device. Other times, the batteries are mistaken for a pill and ingested.
  • Occasionally, people accidentally swallow a battery because they hold it in their mouth when changing a watch battery. Only a very small number of people intend to commit suicide by ingesting disk batteries.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/2/2014
Medical Author:

Must Read Articles Related to Battery Ingestion

Poison Proofing Your Home
Poison Proofing Your Home Poison proofing your home is one of the most important ways to protect your family and pets from an accidental poisoning from solids (pills, plants, fertilizers...learn more >>
Poisoning Poisoning can have serious signs or symptoms including nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, seizure, confusion, or pain. The National Poisong Control Center pho...learn more >>
Swallowed Object
Swallowed Object A child or adult who accidentally swallows an object can be taken care of at home; however, in certain cases they will need to go to a doctor or emergency depar...learn more >>

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Disk Battery Ingestion »

Disk batteries are small, coin-shaped batteries used in watches, calculators, and hearing aids.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary