Battery Ingestion (cont.)
Battery Ingestion Self-Care at Home
The most prudent home treatment for someone who has swallowed a disk battery is to give nothing by mouth and to go to the nearest hospital emergency department. If it will not delay going to the emergency department, bring a sample of the battery ingested. All disk batteries contain an imprinted code that can be used to identify manufacturer, the battery's actual size, and its contents.
- If no battery can be found, then bring the device from which the battery was removed.
- The National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline (202) 625-3333 may be consulted for battery identification and emergency instructions.
- Although antacids helped to prevent disk batteries from leaking in animal models, the dosage required in children would be too much. Avoid medicines like ipecac, which promote vomiting. Batteries that have safely passed into the stomach can be forced back into the esophagus.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/2/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Battery Ingestion
Poison Proofing Your Home
Poison proofing your home is one of the most important ways to protect your family and pets from an accidental poisoning from solids (pills, plants, fertilizers...learn more >>
Poisoning can have serious signs or symptoms including nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing, seizure, confusion, or pain. The National Poisong Control Center pho...learn more >>
A child or adult who accidentally swallows an object can be taken care of at home; however, in certain cases they will need to go to a doctor or emergency depar...learn more >>