Viewer Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bedbugs:

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: havenoclue1960, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I thought my child was bitten by mosquitoes, as he said they were itchy, after a few weeks and the marks not going away and still more appearing I found out with research that we had bed bugs! I immediately went to the mattress, checked the corners and yes low and behold there they were! I went to my room checked the bed frame and found them having a party with tons of friends on the wood. I freaked out. After buying a few large containers with lids to place my items in, I threw out all my wood items and called the pest control people, I still only sleep on the mattress directly on the floor, but I am SLEEPING! I continued to call the pest control company for three months once a month for treatment weather I needed it or not, I wasn't going to take any chances. I have tried other methods, but nothing really works totally like the professionals.

Comment from: free, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I been living at my apartment for more than 2years now and I never had a problem and I even bought a puppy for my daughter, but a couple months later me and my daughter started getting mosquito like bites and my husband didn't get anything so we assumed it was mosquitos because it was one of them hot days, but every day after that we still kept getting bites all over our body so I started thinking the dog had fleas so I bought him some flea treatments and nothing it was still the same so one night I couldn't stop scratching my leg and I got up and I started searching the bed and for my surprise I found bed bugs I was so shocked and ever since every night is hell. My daughter's skin looks bad because of the bites I'm even embarrass showing my legs and arms because they are all marked, so I'm planning to move and throw all my furniture out.

Comment from: sistah4faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Having symptoms to what appears to be mosquito bites that has occured for the last 7 days since moving in with my new roommate. I'm not happy about the insect bites I've been getting every night. I keep the windows closed and I'm not an outside person to be getting insect bites indoors which seems to occur during my sleep because I wake up itching with "mosquito" bite marks. This may be a bed bug mystery. So I have just ordered "bedbug defense" as mentioned in the following blogs about the little critters that like to suck on your blood while you're asleep, can't wait to get the product to stop the itch attacks!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

When I first got bed bug bites, I had intense itching, red wheals and blisters.

Comment from: CanadianGal, 45-54 Female Published: December 07

10 days after visiting an elegant “bed and breakfast” in northern Montana for a night, my husband and I started manifesting bite marks characteristic of bedbugs (groups of 3s). They matched the pictures of bedbugs on the internet. My husband 'squished' a little bug there and said it was full of blood. We knew very little about bedbugs at the time, but have learned much in the last week. I was afraid we brought them home, but found out that it is common for delayed reactions to the bites. We had an exterminator come and do an inspection and he assured us that we have no bedbugs in our house. Thank God!

Must Read Articles Related to Bedbugs

Insect Bites
Insect Bites Insect stings and bites are common. Common symptoms include pain, swelling, redness, and itching. Treatment of insect stings and bites depends on the type of in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bedbugs:

Bedbugs - Treatment

What treatment did you use to get rid of bedbugs?

Bedbugs - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting bedbugs bites?

Bedbugs - Experience

Please describe your experience with bedbugs.