Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

...
Comment from: asdlakecharles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Yesterday I was out running with my son and two dogs when I felt a horrible sting on my right cheek (not the one on my face.) I turned around and saw a bush I had just run by was swarming with red wasps. I turned around and started back for my home and one wasp followed me. Luckily, it didn't get me. The last sting I had was when I was a kid and I am moderately allergic to these types of stings, so I was scared without a cell phone and a half a mile from my house. As I got closer to home and time progressed, the pain got worse and I was barely able to keep going. My tongue felt swollen, I was getting chills from head to toe, and I could feel the venom spreading down my leg. When I got home, I immediately took Benadryl and waited to see if I would need medical attention. At this point, my chest felt tight, like a rubber band was wrapped around it, making it painful to breathe. Eventually, the Benadryl kicked in and I fell asleep. This morning the site is far less swollen and painful but my tongue still feels somewhat too big for my mouth and my throat is very sore. I appreciate the information on this site although I think there should be more information out there for people who don't go into anaphylactic shock when stung, but do have minor to moderate allergic response to stings. The symptoms are very painful and very scary.

Comment from: dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

My husband got stung by wasp while working in the backyard. Actually, he was stung twice by the wasp: once above his heart, the other on his back of calves. The reaction is very scary, never like before. His chest, then neck, face and mouth turned red, then red spots all over his body. Sensitive areas, like underarm, groin area, arm - especially where he got burned two weeks ago. Hives and itch... At the hospital, they gave him antihistamines right away, but it was several hours until he was better. I mean just OK, but not good. Now his ankle has swollen to three times its normal size on the leg where he was bitten 24 hours ago...These stings are nasty.

Comment from: Stacey, 45-54 Female Published: September 17

Simple relief for bee stings (I have never tried it with wasps or hornets) can be found for a Penny. Yes, the 'good old' useless penny that can be found in almost anyones purse, pocket or car. Place the penny on the sting and hold it there for 5 to 8 minutes. Usually in less than 10 minutes the sting, pain, and swelling will go away, in most instances, completely. A simple cure, especially when you are out and without all the traditional medical cures recommended.

Comment from: lucky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was recently stung over 20 times by what I learned were ground hornets. I was taking my trash to the curb and when returning I began being stung. These aggressive creatures followed me up three flights of stairs into my apartment stinging me in my hair and into my clothes (long sleeved and long pants). I was able to get to my car and drive to my workplace, a Health Center. There my colleague, a nurse, had me remove my clothing because she spotted even more wasps that had ridden in my car stinging me all the way. I was treated with an injection and orally. I also was given cold packs. I returned to my apartment after it had been scanned for more hornets. I experienced being highly irritable, sensitive to noise and magnified emotional sensitivity. I am still dealing with several more severe sting sites, increased heart rate, irritability, decreased itch and muscle soreness!! This was nasty. I am over 50 years old and have NEVER experienced such an aggressive response from any living creature and I am a therapist who has dealt with aggressive creatures!!!!

Comment from: Charmelia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I disturbed a Wasp nest and was immediately stung on my upper lip for 3 or 4 seconds. (I couldn't seem to swat him off right away).Within a few minutes my upper lip swelled, both sides of my face swelled up, my neck began to turn red, and the swelling moved up to my right eye and it turned red/purple underneath and it also swelled up. That was yesterday. Tonite the swelling is going down somewhat, but quite a bit remains.

Comment from: berniemay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was swimming, when I was stung by a hornet. I immediately felt a burning sensation where I was stung on the inner thigh. Within minutes, my thigh swelled up to twice its size. Shortly after that, I got hives, my airway started constricting, and my tongue swelled up. I was brought to the local hospital where the doctor gave me three shots. To this day I carry an Epipen.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I was working in my back yard, trying to trim a very overgrown bush when I apparently disturbed a big nest of wasps and got stung in about three places. Thank goodness I always wear a hat. I immediately took a Benadryl and then put a paste of baking soda and water on the worst sting. It helped immensely. The stings are still very, very sore. I went to the pharmacy to find something that would help a wasp sting and realized I had all that I needed in my own medicine cabinet. Alcohol or hydrogen peroxide can also relieve pain from a sting.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?