Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My sting from a wasp burned and turned red with extreme itching. It lasted for about 10 days. The redness turned purplish blue and doubled the size in swelling. The bees seem more venomous these days.

Comment from: lauralu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was stung by a wasp on my finger 3 weeks ago. It is still itching like crazy.

Comment from: PAredneck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I was stung by a wasp on the calf. It hurt more than any bee sting I've ever had. It swelled up my entire calf. It still hurts 3 days later like a deep bruise.

Comment from: bmoore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was stung by a wasp last Friday on the inside of my elbow. I've been stung several times over the years, but never had more than swelling an itching from a sting. Within five minutes my heart started beating wildly. Then my arm started itching and lips went numb. I started wheezing and itching uncontrollably. And my face started swelling! 20 minutes later I was in the ER being treated for a full blown anaphylactic reaction to the sting. After getting it under control and monitoring my symptoms for a few hours I was sent home and instructed to take Benadryl for the next 2 days. By Saturday, my whole arm was swollen - from my shoulder to my hand and itching like crazy! Today is almost a week later, and it's the first day I have felt normal, other than my arm still itching. I now have the EpiPen!

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: September 29

I am amazed that after 4 hours, the sting area is still "stinging". It is as if the wasp is continuing to inject venom. I have taken Tylenol, applied After Bite medication and still, the area (elbow)is swollen, red and is hurting continuously. I have been stung before and have not had the area hurt like this.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 29

A wasp stung my thigh 6 times . It had crawled up my slacks. I suffered severe swelling , pain and spent the night with ice packs and one antihistamine Reactine . Phoned the doctor next day because I had diarrhea and nausea . Later these lessened and I was able to pick up an Rx for cortisone . Lots of brusing in the the stunged thigh and many sensations as if I was being stung again, different parts of my body , lasted for two weeks after stings . I now carry an epi-pen.

Comment from: horseriderthree, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was on my large tractor, backing into some alder trees and salmon berries. I was stung on the back of my neck and left hand ring finger with gloves on. Must have distrubed a yellow jacket's nest. Immediately put ice on both areas and took a benedryl and ibuprofen. Still very ouchy, but more tolerable.

Comment from: patmem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 49yr old woman with Rheumatiod Arthritis and Pulmonary Hypertension on oxygen. I have had no known allergies and have been stung by bees before. Three days ago I was stung by a yellow jacket...I took a Benadryl and shrugged it off. Within 5-10min I developed intense all-over itching, then became light-headed and faint (seeing black spots when I opened my eyes) and began perspiring profusely and gasping for breath. My husband called 911 and I spent several hours in ER. They gave me ephedren and 80mg prednisone, and another shot I don't remember and upped my oxygen. My blood pressure was low and my temperature was high. I started feeling better within a half hour to forty five min, although quite shaky (from the ephedren the nurse said). I came here to WebMD to help decide if I should ask my doc to squeeze me in long enough to look at my hand that was stung. It has been 2.5 days and it is still hot, tightly swollen and mottled to the elbow, and itches violently when the Benedril begins to wear off. Soaking it in tepid Epsom Salts doesn't seem to be working yet. Have one more day of the prednisone left. Was awake much of the night with the itching. From what I read here I have decided it is in my best interests if I try to see my doc and have put in a call to him. Thanks!

Comment from: summer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

This is the first time I have been stung by a wasp. Got a wasp sting on 9/07/09 while i was camping with family in Pennsylvania. It was very painful. I did not see the stinger in my hand where i was stung. I treated it with Benadryl lotion. Today, 9/10/09 I have a red, painful swollen area (less then 10 inches)where the wasp had stung me. I am not sure what else I can do to help alleviate the pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?