Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: September 29

I am amazed that after 4 hours, the sting area is still "stinging". It is as if the wasp is continuing to inject venom. I have taken Tylenol, applied After Bite medication and still, the area (elbow)is swollen, red and is hurting continuously. I have been stung before and have not had the area hurt like this.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 29

A wasp stung my thigh 6 times . It had crawled up my slacks. I suffered severe swelling , pain and spent the night with ice packs and one antihistamine Reactine . Phoned the doctor next day because I had diarrhea and nausea . Later these lessened and I was able to pick up an Rx for cortisone . Lots of brusing in the the stunged thigh and many sensations as if I was being stung again, different parts of my body , lasted for two weeks after stings . I now carry an epi-pen.

Comment from: horseriderthree, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was on my large tractor, backing into some alder trees and salmon berries. I was stung on the back of my neck and left hand ring finger with gloves on. Must have distrubed a yellow jacket's nest. Immediately put ice on both areas and took a benedryl and ibuprofen. Still very ouchy, but more tolerable.

Comment from: patmem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 49yr old woman with Rheumatiod Arthritis and Pulmonary Hypertension on oxygen. I have had no known allergies and have been stung by bees before. Three days ago I was stung by a yellow jacket...I took a Benadryl and shrugged it off. Within 5-10min I developed intense all-over itching, then became light-headed and faint (seeing black spots when I opened my eyes) and began perspiring profusely and gasping for breath. My husband called 911 and I spent several hours in ER. They gave me ephedren and 80mg prednisone, and another shot I don't remember and upped my oxygen. My blood pressure was low and my temperature was high. I started feeling better within a half hour to forty five min, although quite shaky (from the ephedren the nurse said). I came here to WebMD to help decide if I should ask my doc to squeeze me in long enough to look at my hand that was stung. It has been 2.5 days and it is still hot, tightly swollen and mottled to the elbow, and itches violently when the Benedril begins to wear off. Soaking it in tepid Epsom Salts doesn't seem to be working yet. Have one more day of the prednisone left. Was awake much of the night with the itching. From what I read here I have decided it is in my best interests if I try to see my doc and have put in a call to him. Thanks!

Comment from: summer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

This is the first time I have been stung by a wasp. Got a wasp sting on 9/07/09 while i was camping with family in Pennsylvania. It was very painful. I did not see the stinger in my hand where i was stung. I treated it with Benadryl lotion. Today, 9/10/09 I have a red, painful swollen area (less then 10 inches)where the wasp had stung me. I am not sure what else I can do to help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My son was bitten by a wasp just under his eye yesterday. We gave him Benadryl and applied ice. In the morning it was swollen shut. We continued with Benadryl and ice during the day and it is about half open but very puffy underneath. He is 14 and has had no allergic symptoms nor is the eye draining. It is slightly red around the eye, but I think that may be from the ice. He did complain that the gland behind his ear on that side of his face felt swollen tonight.

Comment from: dnj637, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got stung by a paper wasp. Four hours later, it is still excruciatingly painful and has me in tears.

Comment from: nancyflorida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

A paper wasp stung my finger yesterday. I had to leave work this afternoon the itching and swelling is so bad. I called the doctor who said nothing can be done except the remedies I've seen online--Allegra, Benadryl, baking soda, ice, elevation. It's almost midnight and I am in agony. I have taken Benadryl every 5 hours, and 800 mg of ibuprofen. I only have brief periods of relief.

Comment from: rubym, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I got stung maybe a few minutes ago on my thumb, just behind the nail. I put vinegar on it and it's not doing anything. Bees are different than when I was little. The pain is worse. Mom always used baking soda and vinegar.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?