Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: slefeve1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was stung by a wasp on my left hand on a kayaking trip. Immediately it swelled, turned red and hurt, but remained localized except for a few sharp pains now and then throughout the next half hour or so. Later that evening though as I lay down to sleep, my whole arm from wrist to shoulder was aching so bad I didn't want to move it. The pain was definitely a 10/10 on a 1-10 scale with 1 being no pain and 10 the worse I can imagine.

Comment from: smurf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was stung by what I believe was a wasp right through my t-shirt just below the elbow. I believe also through my T-shirt on my abdomen. The next day I woke up with itchiness in both areas. Both had had swollen in diameter to about the size of a donut and are red and hard.

Comment from: ohms277, 55-64 Male Published: June 04

65 year old male. Yesterday while unloading a chop saw out of my truck, I felt a sting in my finger. I set the saw on the floor and turned it over and discover a paper wasp nest full of wasps. I sprayed them, and be this time I could feel a burning going up my arm. By the time I got in the truck to go to the ER, the burning had reached my head, ears, neck, chest, torso. When I got to the ER, my feet were burning, as was my groin area. I was feeling very faint and I found it hard to talk. My head and lips felt like they were going to pop. My blood pressure had dropped to 60/30. Was given Epi shot, IV steroids, and oxygen, and began feeling much better. They kept me there for several more hours to make sure. They gave me a script of Epi pens, Benadryl, and Pepcid. Today my hand is still swollen, but I'm feeling a heck of lot better!

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was stung on top of the first joint of my toe. My sis-in-law pulled it out, which caused so much pain and burning. I got a couple of bite onitments and put them on it. Did not help at all, then I put Tea Tree oil on it and it took the burning away! I took 2 benedryl then 2 more 4 hrs. later. None over night. I woke up several times with pain. This morning the sting site was fine no pain, but the second joint was swollen & to just touch it causes a great deal of pain. It hurts to walk on that foot. Not looking forward to having this pain for 7 to 10 days and am praying that no other side effects come up in the next day or so!! I live with bad back pain and this is topping that!! How strange this sting is!!

Comment from: SDAN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I got stung in my right thigh once and my left arm right above my wrist and up close to my shoulder. My arm is so sore and my throat feels a little funny and my thigh hurts. I am thinking about going to the doctor.

Comment from: itchymama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I'm 26 and I was stung by a wasp hmmm . . . about 40 hours ago. Now I understand why people run away from bees and wasps! (I used to make fun of them). I was stung on my left ankle, which has swollen and will NOT stop itching! (There was a lot of pain for the first few hours, but now it just won't stop itching!) It is 2:20 a.m. and I can't sleep. :( Claritin didn't seem to work for me - I am just using ice and other home remedies to keep the itching at bay. Elevating my ankle seems to help - but honestly, I'm a mother of 3 kids and I don't have time to put my feet up! I must sound like such a whiner! Trust me; I am so grateful that it was me that got stung and not any of my kids! And with H1N1 and other flu bugs going around I am also grateful that I got "bit" by this bug! Thanks for the information!

Comment from: sorearm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was stung by a wasp that was sleeping in my gardening glove. The pain was very intense. I have been stung many times previously in my life with little discomfort after the initial sting. My hand started to swell and became very tight and painful. Then I felt my armpit start to hurt as well as the whole arm. I went to my family doctor. I had taken two Benadryl as told to by the pharmacist. My family doctor told me to go to the emergency room at the hospital where I have been going every morning since (for three days) for intravenous antibiotics. When the swelling goes down, I will be switched to oral antibiotics. I felt like my arm was being sawed off, the pain was so bad and I still cannot use my arm.

Comment from: CT woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 54 year old woman and was at the car wash vacuuming out my car when I felt a sharp pain in my left upper shoulder (in a place I could not reach of course). The pain was more intense than any previous stings that I recall and did not subside quickly. It literally took my breath away and I sat on the ground until I was able to drive home. I was surprised by feeling so panicked and anxious and I couldn't tell if the stinger was still in place. I put some ice on it, and called my husband to look at it and make sure the stinger was out. I am on Zyrtec anyway, and I am hoping this will alleviate some of the reaction.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?