Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My son was bitten by a wasp just under his eye yesterday. We gave him Benadryl and applied ice. In the morning it was swollen shut. We continued with Benadryl and ice during the day and it is about half open but very puffy underneath. He is 14 and has had no allergic symptoms nor is the eye draining. It is slightly red around the eye, but I think that may be from the ice. He did complain that the gland behind his ear on that side of his face felt swollen tonight.

Comment from: dnj637, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got stung by a paper wasp. Four hours later, it is still excruciatingly painful and has me in tears.

Comment from: nancyflorida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

A paper wasp stung my finger yesterday. I had to leave work this afternoon the itching and swelling is so bad. I called the doctor who said nothing can be done except the remedies I've seen online--Allegra, Benadryl, baking soda, ice, elevation. It's almost midnight and I am in agony. I have taken Benadryl every 5 hours, and 800 mg of ibuprofen. I only have brief periods of relief.

Comment from: rubym, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I got stung maybe a few minutes ago on my thumb, just behind the nail. I put vinegar on it and it's not doing anything. Bees are different than when I was little. The pain is worse. Mom always used baking soda and vinegar.

Comment from: Curious, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was stung once by a yellow jacket or paper wasp a few days ago. On the first day, my entire forearm swelled my elbow to my fingers, tightening my skin. A small bubbled rash appeared. I went to my doctor. I was given a steroid shot that reduced the swelling over the next few days, but I got a fever over 100 degrees. I am improved from being so sick I barely could get out of bed. I remain unsteady on my feet with a nausea.

Comment from: galbut, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I was mowing the lawn. I was about to finish when a lone yellow jacket stung me once on my calf. Twenty minutes later, I started itching all over. The itching intensified. The scratching started first, so I raced into the bathroom to take a cold shower. It worked it making me feel better for five minutes. The lumps started appearing all over my body, while my leg remained somewhat suspiciously normal. I used a mixture of salt and water for my body. This morning my body got better, but my leg is now swelled up all the way to my foot. All this from one lousy sting! I am still not well and will probably head to the hospital tomorrow.

Comment from: wisconsinfarmer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was stung by a yellow jacket on the joint of my thumb. Of course stings are always painful, so I put ice on it immediately. That night, pain in the thumb joint was severe. I took Advil for pain, iced it again and was fine except a little residual pain for a few days.

Comment from: Homam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

While delivering mail in Richardson TX, I was a stung by a wasp on my right hand. The bite was so powerful that it broke the skin and the blood came out. I did not use anything, and I didn't bother to removing the stinger. This resulted in swelling stretching from the wrist up to the elbow area. Occasional itching and pain are still occurring.

Comment from: slefeve1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was stung by a wasp on my left hand on a kayaking trip. Immediately it swelled, turned red and hurt, but remained localized except for a few sharp pains now and then throughout the next half hour or so. Later that evening though as I lay down to sleep, my whole arm from wrist to shoulder was aching so bad I didn't want to move it. The pain was definitely a 10/10 on a 1-10 scale with 1 being no pain and 10 the worse I can imagine.

Comment from: smurf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was stung by what I believe was a wasp right through my t-shirt just below the elbow. I believe also through my T-shirt on my abdomen. The next day I woke up with itchiness in both areas. Both had had swollen in diameter to about the size of a donut and are red and hard.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?