Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Beewary, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

Today is the day after being stung on the inner wrist by a very large red wasp. The pain was immediately severe and started swelling. Today the swelling has gone down but it is still painfull and I have a red area that extends six inches down from the sting site. It is very itchy and feels warm. I took benadryl and put neosporin pain relief on it. I have never had such a bad reaction before.

Comment from: Christi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

While doing lawnwork yesterday about 7pm I found a wasp nest in a flower bush that I was trimming. Felt a sharp thorn poke my thumb and thought it was my cactus needle. I started to feel more pain and could feel my hand start to swell in my thumb and 1/2 my hand...then after 2-3 hours the swelling took over my whole hand through my wrist and about 3-4 inches past my wrist. Today, the swelling is the same and feels like it's worsened..it is hard to bend my hand since my knuckles are swollen too.

Comment from: Lv shoes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was stung by wasps. I didn't know that there was a nest in the ground when I was replanting a shrub. The wasps began to sting over and over. i couldn't get them off of me. The only way to get them off was to hide under water. Those wasp stings were like the wasp had velcro; they just kept burning, and the wasps were like velcro and could continue to sting. I'd never been alergic before but this time with over 70 stings I had to be taken to the hospital. Be careful the wasps like to hide in chipmunk holes; said the exterminater. I hated to do that but with children around I was afraid that the stings could kill.

Comment from: Barbara H, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 6 year old daughter was stung at school yesterday on her ear. The ear swelled up and redness appeared down the side of her neck. I was called to the school and gave her a dose of Benadry. I repeated the dose again later yesterday and this morning. It is now 26 hours after the event and her ear - although not as bad as yesterday is still red and swollen. As she is nonverbal and has autism, I cannot ask her how she feels - although she seems in good spirits.

Comment from: michellen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I got my bee sting or whatever it was, I didn't see it, but wow I definitely felt it during a funeral for goodness sakes, yikes! My co-worker put mud on it, but the sting or burn was still there. It has quadrupled in size. I haven't done anything else with it. It is read, swollen, hot, and extremely itchy. I would hate go to urgent care only for this. Now there are little bumps on it, and they look like hives to me.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

It was a single puncture, but was dark so we're not sure what stung him. It was one the top of his hand just above the knuckle of the middle finger on his right hand. The swelling increased during the night. His hand and fingers are about doubled in size. The swelling reached to 2 inches below the elbow. He is a 13 yr old boy and will be playing a football game tonight. He is already taking Benadryl and using an ointment, but I wonder if there is any other first aid he could use.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?