Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: stung in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I was mowing the lawn and suddenly felt a searing pain on the lower part of my left leg, about four inches above my ankle. I instinctively swatted it and saw that it was a black wasp with yellow stripes. I finished mowing the lawn and put some ice on it, and took a 24 hour Allegra. The next day, my foot puffed up from my lower leg, to my ankle, to my toes. I took 2 Benadryl, which just made me sleepy and didn't help with the swelling much. I finally called my doctor and he prescribed a steroid to take over 6 days. Next time I mow the lawn I'm wearing pants and bug repellant!

Comment from: Florence, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 24

I was mowing the grass and disturbed a wasp nest. I was stung multiple times on the ankles, hip, and inner thigh. I applied baking soda paste, and took Tylenol and Benadryl. The pain went away in several hours, however, I had immense itching. I applied cortisone, which helped. However, it has been approximately six days since I was stung and was awakened by the extreme itching. I have again applied cortisone and took Benadryl. I was hoping this would be gone by day 6. I have no allergic reaction, however, very local reaction.

Comment from: sculptor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I was stung by a large wasp on my wedding ring finger. Overnight it swelled and my whole hand came up like a boxing glove. I had to have my wedding ring cut off of my finger with some tine snips. The reaction continued throughout the next day until my doctor got back to his surgery. He treated me with an injection of anti-inflammatory histamines and the inflammation began to go down, plus applying Dermovate cream helped.

Comment from: meme, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I got stung by a red wasp on my hand over a week ago. I put baking soda on it and it was fine. Two days went by and my hand started swelling and then my knee, leg and toes started swelling. I went to the emergency room and they did testing. I have osteoarthritis, or so they thought, and gave me hydrocodone for pain and ibuprofen. I see the doctor in 3 or 4 days. I took the medicines and my granddaughter said to take some Benadryl. L got some better, but still really swollen. Finally 4 days later I went to my doctor, he did tests, and everything is fine. Swelling has gone down but, still my hand hurts tonight and there is swelling still in my leg and foot. Doctor has ordered lymph massage on Thursday.

Comment from: Nicole, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was stung on the wrist by a bumble bee. I tried to get the stinger out. I'm still not sure if it's out or not. I put a slice of potato on it because I heard that's supposed to help but it didn't, so I put ice on it and the swelling around the sting went down almost immediately but then I noticed that my whole wrist had swollen. I went to bed hoping that the swelling would go down during the night and it did but I noticed soreness where the swelling had been. This has never happened to any other stings I have had in the past.

Comment from: shay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was out mowing! Normally red wasps will fly away from you. Not today! Decided to fly up my shorts and sting me in the area you should not be stung! I ran in and put vinegar on it and antibacterial cream! I took 4 ibuprofen for pain and swelling! It happened 3 hours ago! It still hurts like heck! I tried all the remedies. It may be because it is in a very, very sensitive place! No more shorts when mowing! I have to sit or lie down! Walking hurts!

Comment from: jckst, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 45 year old male, and was sitting at my computer desk emailing when stung by a wasp on my left ankle. The pain was very intense, and the swelling started immediately. I killed the wasp and have it in the freezer in case my wife has to take me to the hospital. I was stung at 11:30 PM, and it's now 2:00 AM, and the pain finally started to recede after putting a penny on the sting site for about 10 minutes (thanks to the person that posted the comment about the penny--it really worked). The penny didn't take the pain completely away, I still have intense pain surges, but not as severe and it (penny) took the constant throbbing pain away. I just put hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin w/pain relief on the bite area--hoping to get SOME sleep tonight. I have been bitten a few times as a younger man and child, and have never had this kind of pain from a wasp sting. I think the poster that commented about the wasp's poison getting stronger was correct, the pain is so much more intense, and not just because I'm older either, as I'm in great physical shape. My breathing is a little ragged now, so I'll lay down after taking some antihistamine medicine. Good luck to any that have this kind of hellish sting.

Comment from: asdlakecharles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Yesterday I was out running with my son and two dogs when I felt a horrible sting on my right cheek (not the one on my face.) I turned around and saw a bush I had just run by was swarming with red wasps. I turned around and started back for my home and one wasp followed me. Luckily, it didn't get me. The last sting I had was when I was a kid and I am moderately allergic to these types of stings, so I was scared without a cell phone and a half a mile from my house. As I got closer to home and time progressed, the pain got worse and I was barely able to keep going. My tongue felt swollen, I was getting chills from head to toe, and I could feel the venom spreading down my leg. When I got home, I immediately took Benadryl and waited to see if I would need medical attention. At this point, my chest felt tight, like a rubber band was wrapped around it, making it painful to breathe. Eventually, the Benadryl kicked in and I fell asleep. This morning the site is far less swollen and painful but my tongue still feels somewhat too big for my mouth and my throat is very sore. I appreciate the information on this site although I think there should be more information out there for people who don't go into anaphylactic shock when stung, but do have minor to moderate allergic response to stings. The symptoms are very painful and very scary.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?