Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: mhabel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I just put a small amount of toothpaste on the infected area. Then right after a few minutes it didn't swell anymore and the pain was gone. This treatment is very effective!

Comment from: Deniseramirez807, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Ice pak and rubbing alcohol is what I used to treat my sting.

Comment from: BamaMed, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

Wasp sting treatment Included cleaning the site with warm water and then using an ice pack for 20 minutes ever hour for two hours. Popped aBenadryl and two Tylenol and applied a topical bee sting swabs from a first aid box. Site is still swollen three hours after care but it seemed to help with the initial sting.

Comment from: prpsrv, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My 12-year-old son just got stung by a bee on the soft skin on the soft fleshy part of his finger. He immediately removed the stinger and I ran cold water over it while I prepared an ice pack wrapped in a towel. The wife went and got Benadryl and acetaminophen. The tears have stopped, swelling appears minimal, redness around sting is obvious, but calm is returning to the house.

Comment from: billieg, 65-74 Female Published: June 28

I was just stung by a wasp and came in the house and put toothpaste on it and the sting went away within a minute.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Well I am quite sensitive to bites although never bitten by a wasp before - that I can remember. I immediately took a gel cap Benadryl and then also opened one of these gel caps and applied it directly to the skin. Then I iced it. it did swell a bit before the ice but after icing it, it sort of spread but also went down. The icing also helped with the burning sensation that I had. Today the day after - it still looks good, little pink with a little itchy/tingling feeling.

Comment from: Sazid, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 31

Hi, I am Mr. Sazid from India. Today, when I was brushing at my home, a flying insect stung in my upper lip on left side, I just caught out it away immediately but I could not see what it was. When I saw my lip reflection into mirror there was no sign. After a few minutes, my lip grew up two times larger in volume. I just applied a little amount of hydrogen peroxide and now I'm feeling relief.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was in agony when I was stung by a wasp. I applied a cloth soaked in malt vinegar to the sting for about 30 minutes. The pain subsided immediately.

Comment from: Buzz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was stung by a wasp. It just landed on me and stung me for no reason. It swelled up and was very itchy and it stung like pins and needles. I used cortizone cream rubbing alcohol calamine lotion and Gold Bond cream and Neosporin. The best remedy so far is the baking soda paste and ice, which helped a lot. Today is the second day and the site is worse I am hoping it will go away.

Comment from: momshomeremedy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was just stung last night on the inner part of my right hand thumb. As soon as I got in the house, the only thing I could find was Neosporin. It worked immediately with no swelling, no pain! This morning, I can't even see where the stinger was.

Comment from: JMixx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was stung by something the day before yesterday. I didn't see what it was, but it left three painful, prickling, stinging spots on the side of my neck. I haven't had any breathing difficulties or all-over rashes (otherwise I would have gotten medical attention), but I have had random, prickly-stinging sensations elsewhere; my arm, my side, and the back of my knee, for example. Occasionally I get a chill with goose bumps, and red streaks have developed in the armpit on the side nearest the stings. I tried Witch Hazel (I thought it was supposed to reduce swelling), but it didn't do much. Yesterday evening I put hydrocortisone cream on it, but the stings continued to hurt and sting at random intervals, and I kept getting those stinging sensations other places. I was tired of it by last night, so I took some Benadryl. I slept really well, but haven't noticed much difference. The sting spots aren't large; the biggest is only about an inch and a half to two inches across, and they aren't terribly swollen. But the random stinging/prickling feeling, which seems to happen in random spots on my body, hasn't gone away, and I'm still having occasional chills. What a pain!

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.