Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: loulou, 7-12 Female Published: April 21

My 8 yr old got stung on both legs back to back by a wasp and he has asthma. I didn't know if he was allergic to the venom because he had never been stung before, so I quickly went to gave him Benadryl and his inhaler. I cleaned both legs then applied wet tea bags to both stings. Both stings swelled to about 5 inches around both legs, but he had no signs of any trouble breathing. I hope this never happens again.

Comment from: chucknbeth001, 65-74 Published: April 08

I was told to pack the site with a paste made of baking soda and water and to cover it with gauze (or a folded-over paper towel works) and secure with tape. I did and I noticed the pain stopped immediately. Why? It draws out the poison! I highly recommend it!

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a 71 year old male. Last year in May, I disturbed a wasp nest in a bush at the bottom of my garden. I received about 12 - 15 stings on my neck and arms. The actual sting itself feels like no more than a pinprick but the sting site starts to itch a couple of hours later and continues to itch on and off for 3 or 4 days. I covered the nest in a wasp nest destroyer foam from my local hardware store and it was no more. In the summer of 2010, while on holiday in Spain, I disturbed the nest of a paper wasps in the frame of my bathroom window and was stung once only on the back of the hand. It was a far more painful sting than the common wasp. The site reddened and swelled considerably and continued to itch for almost 2 weeks. I acquired a tube of cream from a pharmacy and it was quite effective at reducing the itch. Because of the open structure of the nest, I was able to kill the wasps with a simple wasp killer spray. I did not seek any medical attention other than as described above.

Comment from: Cathie lee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Yesterday a black bee got up the sleeve of my jacket and stung me. I swept it off, and scraped the stinger out. I took a Benadryl tablet, placed ice on it, thought I did a good job, but this morning awoke with itching and swelling as large as two inch circle. I applied Benadryl gel, took a baby aspirin, and it's better now. Not sure what to do next?

Comment from: mare, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

While getting into a car that had been sitting for a while under a tree, I was stung twice. Once on my forearm and once on the back of my upper arm. It felt like a dog had bitten chunks out of me. I was immediately short of breath and felt sick to my stomach. My grandpa was a Marine and quickly told me to put mud on it. I used a thermal mud face mask type mud and the pain disappeared almost instantly, and you couldn't even tell I had been stung. Today, day two, both sites are swollen to half dollar on my forearm and maybe 3 inches in diameter on the other. Itchy and sore and tight. Not a happy camper. I'm going to try some Benadryl if it doesn't subside by morning. Maybe I'll try the mud again?

Comment from: memama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was trimming some trees in my orchard and was stung 3 or 4 times by wasps. I wasn't sure what had happened (didn't have my glasses on). The swarm came out and chased me. I was in agony and wasn't sure if I was allergic or not, so I ran to my car and bit on the bites and sucked on the wounds. I wasn't sure what to do, I was by myself in the middle of 100 acres of almonds. I remember my grandmother saying to pack stings with mud, that it draws out the venom. I was stung on the wrist and now it hurts all the way down to my elbow, stinging gone, but the pain still here 6 hours later.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

Hello I was just stung by a wasp this morning on my hand. I haven't been stung since I was a child and had forgotten how painful it could be. It immediately began to swell and I noticed hives on my chest and neck. It's now several hrs later and my hand is still throbbing and it hurts to use it. I just want to comment on the above posts because they scare me. If any of you ever get stung and begin to notice wheezing, tightness in chest, throat swelling, or swelling in your tongue get your butt to the hospital! I can't stress it enough! Taking Benadryl is a good thing but don't take a nap if you have those symptoms and expect to be okay. Your airway may become compromised! Never play around with those kinds of reactions.

Comment from: weslynn3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Immediately after I was stung by bees or wasps seven or eight times on my right thumb and three fingers plus my lower lip I drove to a walk in medical center about fifteen minutes from my house. The Doctor told me to buy Benadryl and gave me a prescription for Prednisone 10mg. to be taken for 5 days. I also used a cold pack on my lower lip and right fingers.

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.