Viewer Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatments

What treatment or treatments did you use for you bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: LisaX, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was stung by a wasp almost 24 hours ago. It was in my house resting on top of some clothes. I reached to pick them up. I did not see it and it got me on my inner wrist. Darn Wasp! It burned and hurt a lot at first. I saw no stinger. I ran cold water on the site, put topical Benadryl on it and took one Benadryl orally. The swelling went down almost immediately but the site is very tender, and it feels tight and just a tad painful.

Comment from: Jo, Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I've been stung four times this year so far. I always put ice on the sting right away to stop the venom from going any further.

Comment from: jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was stung twice inside my throat while drinking a beer. I had major respiratory problems and two days in ICU. Major pain. I thought I was going to die. I was lucky to have made it to the hospital.

Comment from: Niki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I got stung walking in my daughters room, there was a wasp on the floor. I thought I stepped on a nail. But no a wasp stung me. He stung me on the side of my foot. The pain hurts like crazy. I tried the baking soda and water and it helped. I got the stinger out with a toenail clipper. I had to go to work. Now I'm using the penny with tape. It is working so far!

Comment from: j72050, 55-64 Male Published: August 10

The toothpaste deal worked great! I tried onions and a penny, but the toothpaste worked best. Bees are bums! They do not show up to pollinate in Ohio, but they hang around ripened fruit, the lazy freeloaders!

Comment from: Debra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

While trimming hedges, I discovered a hidden wasp nest located within, as I was stung three times. I applied a medicated ointment containing eucalyptus, camphor and menthol to my leg and hand, which gave a quick soothing relief from the pain. It did not, however, prevent swelling; both areas swelled two to three inches and remained that way for a number of hours. By the following day, all symptoms were gone.

Comment from: gopher slayer, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

My 10 year old son was stung by a wasp this 4th of July. He was stung twice in the inside of his thumb. He is quite a tough kid, but when I saw him running from the deck where he was attacked through the kitchen window, holding his arm and yelling in pain. I thought he must have broken his arm somehow. My sister witnessed it, and confirmed it was a wasp. He fought off the tears, and told me it was the most painful experience of his 10 years. Within 20 minutes, his hand was noticeably swollen, within several hours, at least 10-15% bigger than his other hand. By the next day, I couldn't identify the wrinkles at the bends of his fingers. His knuckles were undetectable. I called the doctor. The nurse said it was localized reaction, and to take 1 teaspoon of Benadryl. Now at day two, July, it is still quite swollen.

Comment from: billiebog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

Got stung twice and tried the toothpaste solution. Seems to really work.

Comment from: thguerrero, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was moving a plant and felt a sting on my thumb. I immediately backed away as several wasps flew out. I started putting ice and it felt a little better but after a couple of minutes it started throbbing. I read where someone used toothpaste and I tried it. Guess what! It WORKS. The pain went away and it's still a little swollen but at least it stop hurting.

Comment from: Waspy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

Yesterday I encountered an angry wasp that decided to sting me twice on my hand. I immediately washed the punctures, put ice for 30 minutes, and the swelling was controlled, but today 24 hours later the spots where I got the sting is itching badly.

Comment from: Camposa, 65-74 Female Published: October 18

I was stung many times by wasps as a child. My mother always rubbed raw onion on the site and that relieved the pain and stopped the swelling. Now, many years later, I was stung yesterday by, I think, a hornet. I applied the raw onion and this relieved the pain immediately. Today, 24 hours later, the place where I was stung is still a bit sore and red but I think without the onion, it would have been a lot worse!

Must Read Articles Related to Bee and Wasp Stings

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings:

Bee And Wasp Sting - Self-Care

What self-care did you use on your bee and/or wasp sting?

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.